Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Back after awhile. A little introduction

Hey everyone,

It has been a while since I was on here last. My name is Wayne. I am from the Mayfair area of northeast Philadelphia.

I just aquired my license to carry permit. I am looking to purchase my first pistol. I think I am leaning towards a 9mm just not sure what yet. I am hoping to learn about local ranges and see if there are any group shoot outings around the philly area. My dad is a member at a club but I dont get the chance to go with him too often. I am looking to get a pistol for home protection, but also enjoy target shooting.

Sorry for the long post, i look forward to getting to know some people on here and enjoy learning about guns.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Back after awhile. A little introduction

Welcome back Wayne. And what's up with that annoyingly long post...

(Mercer County)

Welcome. Nine millimeter is fine for anything you'll do with it, including self defense provided you use the right ammunition. Any quality hollow point will suffice. Personally, I am a fan of Speer gold dot.

As far as the gun is concerned, I'd recommend a Glock 19. It's small enough to carry, and large enough for home defense or anything else you'd need a handgun for. In my opinion, it is the ideal size for a carry gun. The Smith & Wesson M&P series is great too, as is Springfield Armory's XD series. If you get any of those three, you'll be fine. There are others that are just as good, but that gives you a solid place to start. Finally, seek qualified and competent training.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the tips. I'm looking into classes, it's been a while and want to refresh. Plus having a gun in the house, I talked my fiancé into taking courses so she isn't affraid.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Waynejr83@gmail.com View Post
    I am hoping to learn about local ranges and see if there are any group shoot outings around the philly area. My dad is a member at a club but I dont get the chance to go with him too often. I am looking to get a pistol for home protection, but also enjoy target shooting.

Sorry for the long post, i look forward to getting to know some people on here and enjoy learning about guns.
    For ranges the closest would probably be Delaware Valley Sports Center a bit further out in the suburbs would be Classic Pistol or into Philly would be the Philly Gun Range.

I agree about the Glock 19 (I better since that is what I have. ). One option you might want to think about is the Glock 23 with an extra 9 mm barrel. IIRC you get two gun for a little more than just the one. Most of the ranges rent handgun, so you might want to shoot a few different firearms and see which one you personally like before purchasing one.
    Or you could say Phuket and buy a Hi-Point. (yes I also own one, it's my vacation gun)

IANAL MPMO VIVA CUBA LIBRE

(York County)

Welcome back, and congratulations on your LTCF. I agree with the posts that the 9mm will handle ( with the right load ) almost any task you take it to. I would recommend that you go to a few of your local gun shops and handle different makes to find what feels best in your hands. Normally my EDC (Every Day Carry) is a Timber Wolf framed Glock 31 in .357sig. As I was out and about today, I stopped in at one of my LGS's and had the opportunity to handle a new Hk VP9. I was impressed by how well it fit my mitts, and with how naturally it pointed. One of my tests is to put the gun at low ready, close my eyes, and bring the gun up to full ready and then open my eyes to see how close the sights are to my imaginary point of aim. When I opened my eyes the VP9 was perfectly aligned, and felt almost as natural as a 1911. While this won't have me changing my carry soon, it does give me a future option. I'm sharing this with you to show that you never know until you try. I would also suggest, if able, to test fire your choices before you buy. Choose wisely, as for most people that first handgun stays with them quite awhile, training until it's controls and safe handling become second nature. If the gun that fits you best costs more than expected, save until you can afford it rather than settling for a choice you may not be happy with. Most of all, practice, be safe, and keep an open mind. Don't be afraid to ask advice from your fellow, and more experienced, Poofarians. You will find there are a lot of generous and helpful people here willing to answer questions.
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM

Get your hands on as many handguns as you can to find the one that fits you right.

Try to rent as many as you can to get a feel for them and find the one you like.

My first handgun was the Springfield Armory XDm9 it was a great handgun for HD purposes. I also would suggest a Ruger SR9C very nice trigger, some will tell you a hair trigger but while it was light and crisp if you know your gun your not going to have an accidential discharge.

From personal experience I wouldn't recommend the Kel-TEC PF9 it was uncomfortable to shoot even just one magazine & it liked to try to flip out of my hands even with a firm grip.

(Philadelphia County)

Thank you for the advice and suggestions. My plan so far is to like you said, rent and try some to see what is most comfortable. I will definitely be asking, I always enjoy different opinions and learning new things.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA1936MN View Post
    Get your hands on as many handguns as you can to find the one that fits you right.
    Welcome back. As far as suggestions go, this statement has a lot going for it. I can tell you personally I've seen guns, both handguns and rifles, that I liked cosmetically in an advertisement, but when I finally got them in my hands didn't "feel" as good as I thought they would and ended up passing on them. Not saying any of them were bad, they just weren't for me.
    Obviously, budget too will be a concern. That is if you have one.
    Personally I'm a Sig fan, but do own Glock, M&P, H&K, Colt, and even got an Ed Brown in there. My preferred edc is the M11A1. Mostly own 9mm, but have some 40 and of course the EB is a 45.
    Anyway, good luck in your search.

(Philadelphia County)

I have shot a few sig's and do like them. Unfortunately the price tag is a little high on some of the ones I have seen. So far I have checked out a glock and a ruger SR9c and I really like the ruger. I am going to look at some others as well and try some at local ranged before I make my decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast