Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt 1911

Default Colt 1911

Just picked up a new COLT 1911 Government (stainless) series 80.

I like how it feels in the hand, definitely high quality. This is my first Colt firearm, and I'm looking forward to this firearm. Anyone else have this model?They call it the 1070sxe model.

Took it home, disassembled and cleaned lubed. I should say that the barrel-bushing/guide-rod part (first step) is A BEAR to do.

Slide is smooth on the rails, I hope this one is reliable. I plan to carry for defense.

Comments/advice on this particular model are welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Colt 1911

Sweet pistol. I would take that over any Kimber, any day. Make sure you shoot a bunch of whatever round you like to carry through it to ensure reliability. Other than that, I'd put the grippiest VZ or G10 grips on that I could find, and some grip tape on the front strap.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Sweet. I just sold my 3 colts (2 XSE special editions and a Gold Cup Trophy) to pay for all the Glocks I just bought. I hated to do it, but I got Glock brain, now. (hey, it's better than Glock leg ).
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Thanks for the input!

sprrdhawk44: I might just carry quality FMJ in this. I know this is a controversial topic---I'll have to see if JHP's feed 100 percent.

300WM: One good thing about Colts is that they seem to retain their value very well. Selling Colt 1911 to buy Glocks; some might say 'heresy!', I say buy what you like and prefer. Some of the trades I've done in the past would have folks slap their foreheads, but some of those trades made me very happy.

This is one beautiful pistol.

I don't know what Colt recommends, but some 1911 mfgrs recommend shooting 2-500 rounds of full power ball for break-in.

It goes against everything I was ever taught, but for break-in, Wilson Combat recommends shooting 500 rounds of full power ammo WITHOUT cleaning. Just keep adding a light oil to the rails, bushing & barrel without cleaning off any dirt. The dirt & the oil turn into a slurry & do the final fitting & polishing of the moving parts.

The Colt probably doesn't have the tight tolerances of a Wilson, so 200 rounds should do the trick.
    Last edited by IronButt; January 29th, 2015 at 07:26 PM.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I don't know what Colt recommends, but some 1911 mfgrs recommend shooting 2-500 rounds of full power ball for break-in.

It goes against everything I was taught, but Wilson Combat recommends shooting 500 rounds of full power ammo WITHOUT cleaning. Just keep adding a light oil to the rails, bushing & barrel without cleaning off any dirt. The dirt & the oil turn into a slurry & do the final fitting & polishing of the moving parts.

The Colt probably doesn't have the tight tolerances of a Wilson, so 200 rounds should do the trick.
    Thanks for the input. I'm going to try to take this to the range soon and see how it goes. I have a pretty good cache of 45 ball so that'll be easy.

I'm used to carrying big revolvers, and this 1911 feels nice and light!

(Dauphin County)

Very nice...

(Susquehanna County)

The pistol is great and I'm glad to see you're going to try out your "carry ammo". But accept this tip also. Once you've determined what brand and type of ammo you're going to use, field strip the pistol and dismount the barrel, then use the barrel as a cartridge gauge, just dropping the cartridges into the chamber, they should settle naturally with the rim just at or slightly below the barrel's hood. Use those that do so without extra pressure as your carry ammo. Those that don't or that need a little thumb pressure to seat, put on the side and use in practice.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Thanks for the input!

sprrdhawk44: I might just carry quality FMJ in this. I know this is a controversial topic---I'll have to see if JHP's feed 100 percent.

300WM: One good thing about Colts is that they seem to retain their value very well. Selling Colt 1911 to buy Glocks; some might say 'heresy!', I say buy what you like and prefer. Some of the trades I've done in the past would have folks slap their foreheads, but some of those trades made me very happy.

This is one beautiful pistol.
    Not to be a dick, but it's not controversial at all, at least not among people who know anything about self-defense. If your only reason for carrying ball is that it's all your pistol will run reliably, you need a different carry gun. There is no valid reason for carrying ball, other than possibly in a .380 or smaller cartridge. See if your gun will run it. If it doesn't, either have the gun worked on so that it WILL run it, or carry something that already does.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post

300WM: One good thing about Colts is that they seem to retain their value very well. Selling Colt 1911 to buy Glocks; some might say 'heresy!', I say buy what you like and prefer.
    Yea...I'd been contemplating for quite a while. I still love the 1911, though. I'm just going to put all my effort in getting like Yoda with a Glock.

My XSE's were a Sterling and a Sovereign. I paid $2000 for the pair 'cause they had a little wear on the muzzles where they were put in and out of the safe at the dealer. I made $400 back, total, selling them separately, so yes, they hold their value, well. That made up a little for the beatings I am taking on my PT's.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast