Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt 1911

Default Re: Colt 1911

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    Not to be a dick, but it's not controversial at all, at least not among people who know anything about self-defense. If your only reason for carrying ball is that it's all your pistol will run reliably, you need a different carry gun. There is no valid reason for carrying ball, other than possibly in a .380 or smaller cartridge. See if your gun will run it. If it doesn't, either have the gun worked on so that it WILL run it, or carry something that already does.
    I appreciate your advice, and I don't mean any disrespect to your point of view. BUT:
    Is clint smith an unqualified source?

Quoting Clint Smith, with citation:
    “The 1911 remains popular because it’s an efficient tool. In more than 30 years of experience, I’ve met more competent, serious gunmen who carry 1911’s than those who pack any other handgun. They are professionals – policemen, government agents and others who carry handguns daily because the know their live may depend on it…Me? I’ve carried a 1911 every single day for the past 20 years. It’s a very comforting gun to have at your hip. It offers a good, consistent single-action trigger pull and is wonderfully dependable. Because the 1911 is basically a defensive handgun, I’m not concerned about tight groups. I don’t bother with expanding hollowpoints that could cause feeding problems. For absolute reliability, I shoot only high-quality ball ammunition. That big .45 slug doesn’t have to expand to be effective.” From Guns and Ammo, September, 2001.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    I appreciate your advice, and I don't mean any disrespect to your point of view. BUT:
    Is clint smith an unqualified source?

Quoting Clint Smith, with citation:
    “The 1911 remains popular because it’s an efficient tool. In more than 30 years of experience, I’ve met more competent, serious gunmen who carry 1911’s than those who pack any other handgun. They are professionals – policemen, government agents and others who carry handguns daily because the know their live may depend on it…Me? I’ve carried a 1911 every single day for the past 20 years. It’s a very comforting gun to have at your hip. It offers a good, consistent single-action trigger pull and is wonderfully dependable. Because the 1911 is basically a defensive handgun, I’m not concerned about tight groups. I don’t bother with expanding hollowpoints that could cause feeding problems. For absolute reliability, I shoot only high-quality ball ammunition. That big .45 slug doesn’t have to expand to be effective.” From Guns and Ammo, September, 2001.

Clint is indubitably a qualified source. That said, I would be shocked and astounded if he is still doing the same thing today. If he is, then I would strongly disagree with and discourage the practice. Ball over-penetrates obnoxiously, and quite frankly is dangerous, particularly in a public setting. If you're worried about it not feeding, get some Cor Bon powerball. It has essentially the same profile as ball, and is considerably less likely to go through an attacker and out the other side with enough steam left to kill others. If you'd like, I can dig up a bunch of well known instructors that will back that. I really don't want to do that though. Just think about it, logically. If your ONLY reason for carrying an inferior round is that it's only what your gun will run, why would you put yourself at a distinct disadvantage? Why would you risk it?
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; January 29th, 2015 at 09:05 PM.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Clint is indubitably a qualified source. That said, I would be shocked and astounded if he is still doing the same thing today. If he is, then I would strongly disagree with and discourage the practice. Ball over-penetrates obnoxiously, and quite frankly is dangerous, particularly in a public setting. If you're worried about it not feeding, get some Cor Bon powerball. It has essentially the same profile as ball, and is considerably less likely to go through an attacker and out the other side with enough steam left to kill others. If you'd like, I can dig up a bunch of well known instructors that will back that. I really don't want to do that though. Just think about it, logically. If your ONLY reason for carrying an inferior round is that it's only what your gun will run, why would you put yourself at a distinct disadvantage? Why would you risk it?
    No disagreements here. I thank you for the explanations and suggestions. I'll start with ball for break in, then try the box of remington JHPs I have sitting around as a start to see if it'll feed those.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    The pistol is great and I'm glad to see you're going to try out your "carry ammo". But accept this tip also. Once you've determined what brand and type of ammo you're going to use, field strip the pistol and dismount the barrel, then use the barrel as a cartridge gauge, just dropping the cartridges into the chamber, they should settle naturally with the rim just at or slightly below the barrel's hood. Use those that do so without extra pressure as your carry ammo. Those that don't or that need a little thumb pressure to seat, put on the side and use in practice.
    Good advice. I think I heard it called "the thunk test" somewhere. I use reloads as carry ammo, so I make a point of having my barrel at the reloading bench when I'm reloading for the 1911's.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    Good advice. I think I heard it called "the thunk test" somewhere. I use reloads as carry ammo, so I make a point of having my barrel at the reloading bench when I'm reloading for the 1911's.
    Yes, I repped him.

Here's a question: this Colt came with 8 round mags. Do the 7 round mags feed more reliably?

(Butler County)

Very, very nice.

We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. Winston Churchill........

Yes, I repped him.

Here's a question: this Colt came with 8 round mags. Do the 7 round mags feed more reliably?
    Not that I'm aware of. My SA TRP & RO came with 7 round mags & they've never been used. I have 8 round Wilson 47d's & Chip McCormic Power Mags that I use all the time. I prefer the 47d's because it sounds like a bra size.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Mercer County)

Yes, I repped him.

Depends on the mags. I only carry Wilson 47Ds or Tripp Cobra Mags. Mccormick mags are good, but they can damage the frames in some pistols.

Depends on the mags. I only carry Wilson 47Ds or Tripp Cobra Mags. Mccormick mags are good, but they can damage the frames in some pistols.
    Okay. I've got some Wilsons lying around, I'll try those.

I just remember reading somewhere that the 1911 was intended to be fed from a 7 round mag, and the 8 rounds can hypothetically mess with the physics of the way it feeds.

Dunno, thought is ask. I'm still learning

(Mercer County)

Okay. I've got some Wilsons lying around, I'll try those.

I just remember reading somewhere that the 1911 was intended to be fed from a 7 round mag, and the 8 rounds can hypothetically mess with the physics of the way it feeds.

Dunno, thought is ask. I'm still learning
    I think that was probably true when the 8 rounders first came out, but now there's no diffeence in reliability, provided you use quality mags.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast