Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sphinx pistols

(Lackawanna County)

Lightbulb Sphinx pistols

I'm currently looking at adding Sphinx pistols to my product line. From what I've been reading and seeing on YouTube they're extremely well made and a real pleasure to shoot.

Their pricing is up there with the likes of H&K and others in the just under to over $1000 range but I've yet to find anyone who owns one complain about the price they have paid.

Before I add the line I'd like to know if people on this forum are familiar with the line and would consider purchasing them if they could get them locally.

Here is a link to their web site http://www.sphinxarms.com . They are imported by KRISS USA.

Thanks for all of your input.

Default Re: Sphinx pistols

Well, we have a few questions for you to help you decide on your purchase.

Are you familiar with the Sphinx line of Pistols?

Are you a fan of CZ-75 style pistols?

Would you consider purchasing a Sphinx if available locally?

(Chester County)

Id like to have a chance to handle one, they look very well made. I think they would be a hard sell to anyone that knows CZs. They're a lot of extra money for a very slightly different design. But, if someone came in ready to pay a G for a Sig, these are probably a good alternative.

There are very few modern made pistols or production guns that I would pay a grand or over for unless it for a specific purpose and HD, SD and plinking aren't any of them.

So no there will be no Sphinx for Hodgie.

(Chester County)

I rather buy a CZ 75 D compact.

(Tioga County)

They look very nice and I wouldn't mind owning one at some point but it's not a priority purchase. Definitely they are a niche market pistol.

(Montgomery County)

Basically these are a "work-over" originally by ATI of the CZ series from the days when CZs fell into the realm of "unobtanium". I would willingly pay the price of a new Sig 210 or even one of the earlier Danish Issue Sig 210s but aside from those, no other "Swiss Handguns". Now Swiss rifles on the other hand!

Plus look at the financial demographics of the Scranton area. How many people can buy a "loaded Ed Brown 1911" in your area? Check the figures from the census and add a few percent. In my book, the idea would be a recipe for bankruptcy! Dave_n

(Philadelphia County)

Sphinx are usually better known among competition shooters.

They are/were typically CZ clones with much tighter tolerances and much higher price tags.

That said, looking at their website now I see very few of the the competition and race guns that used to make up the bulk of their Euro website (and for which they were famous). This stuff just looks like your basic defensive arms. I understand they were bought by Kriss so maybe they are going more for that market now?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
    Sphinx are usually better known among competition shooters.

They are/were typically CZ clones with much tighter tolerances and much higher price tags.

That said, looking at their website now I see very few of the the competition and race guns that used to make up the bulk of their Euro website (and for which they were famous). This stuff just looks like your basic defensive arms. I understand they were bought by Kriss so maybe they are going more for that market now?
    Not bought but imported by KRISS.

Sphinx is definitely trying to get their brand to be world wide. They now have a manufacturing process whereby each gun's slide is milled from a sold piece of billet steel and their frames are either steel, aluminum or a combination of aluminum and polymer.

By all of the reviews I have read and videos I have watched, they are an extremely well built firearm.

Thank you for your input.

(Lackawanna County)

Thank you all for your input!

Yes, I do agree that this demographic probably has only a few people like myself who are willing to put forth between $800 and $1200 for one of these fine firearms.

That being said I have decided that it's not a brand I'll put on my shelves right now. But they're still on list. I'm always looking for way to keep my product lines fresh and diversified to cater to every type of customer.

What I do find interesting is that brand recognition really is everything, no matter how good the quality is. I've sold HK's for well over $900 and then you have the likes of Les Baer, Kimber and many others that come it at over $1000.

But, like anything else, purchasing a firearm is a very personal thing and I'm glad that we have so many great choices.

Thanks again for your input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast