Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Best handgun safe?

Hi all,
    Looking to store a couple handguns in my bedroom, away from my master safe. Obviously, I would like to lock these up too to prevent unwanted hands on...Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Ian
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

Default Re: Best handgun safe?

I find this one useful and it's quite sturdy.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Stack...3246589&rid=20

Unless you are looking for a floor safe.
    FUCK BIDEN

I have a gun vault deluxe model sitting on my nightstand. I have the button model, not the biometric...

It has a small light inside, a shelf (which I removed because I only store 1 gun in it but could easily store 2 and a spare mag for each) works really well. It is wall power but also has a battery backup, and the door is spring loaded so it flops open once the combination is entered. I like it because YOU set the combination, and it is easily changeable. There are mounting holes and kit that came with it, I did not mount mine. The system also has a "movement alarm" that will sound if tampered with, and I believe it will chirp if someone tried to access it and entered the wrong code after 2 invalid tries that way you know if someone was messing with it.

I keep the key close by as well incase the system fails, theres a manual key style unlock as well. I test it out every so often, has worked everytime for over 2 years.

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-GV200...n+vault+deluxe .
    Last edited by Nucking Futs; January 28th, 2015 at 04:53 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I find this one useful and it's quite sturdy.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Stack...3246589&rid=20

Unless you are looking for a floor safe.
    This is what I keep in my vehicle for when I have to lock up in the car briefly. Secure the cord around a seat post.

Quote Originally Posted by Nucking Futs View Post
    I have a gun vault deluxe model sitting on my nightstand. I have the button model, not the biometric...

It has a small light inside, a shelf (which I removed because I only store 1 gun in it but could easily store 2 and a spare mag for each) works really well. It is wall power but also has a battery backup, and the door is spring loaded so it flops open once the combination is entered. I like it because YOU set the combination, and it is easily changeable. There are mounting holes and kit that came with it, I did not mount mine. The system also has a "movement alarm" that will sound if tampered with, and I believe it will chirp if someone tried to access it and entered the wrong code after 2 invalid tries that way you know if someone was messing with it.

I keep the key close by as well incase the system fails, theres a manual key style unlock as well. I test it out every so often, has worked everytime for over 2 years.

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-GV200...n+vault+deluxe .
    +1 on this. Good bedroom safe. You can punch in your code with your eyes closed(or in the dark),door pops open (spring loaded). Reach in, and thar she blows.
    It's my choice for the nightstand piece. Simple as "beep,beep,beep,beep....BANG"
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    He's allowed because he's special.

(Venango County)

It's great for traveling (Gunvault Deluxe), too. Goes from car to room easily. Can also store wallet, car and room keys etc. Can cable it to car's seat or hotel fixture as well. LED light will show red if someone tampered with codes or green for no incorrect code entry when you hold down two keys. As someone said, another key combo sets a very loud motion alarm for added security.

Love mine.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(York County)

I have two which are heavy steel and utilize the Simplex push button locks. One is a Hand-D-gun safe, which are no longer made, but were very stout (3/16" steel all around with 1/4" door) and the other I made based on the Hand-D-gun design.

I'm not a fan of electric locks. Not that the Simplex can't fail, but they are a time-tested system and are about as bullet proof as you can get. They are also fast and quiet. If you get past the idea that you're only keeping the honest people out, then the rest of the decision is based on your comfort level and wallet. IMO, a good safe securely attached to your vehicle is a must-have for those times you must disarm and want a high degree of peace of mind. If they want mine, they're going to have to REALLY want it.