Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Colt Lawman: worth it?

I'm intrigued my the Colt Lawman mk III .357 magnum with 4 inch barrel.

Are they worth the prices they are calling for these days? I don't know much about these except that they are very strong framed and are rumored to have brittle firing pins. Any Lawman owners want to offer their thoughts about these guns? Will they shoot out of time with a steady diet of magnums?

How do they compare to vintage S&Ws? I've got a 5 screw pre-war M&p, and that gun is like a hand fitted custom gun. Are the Lawmans comparable?

Thanks in advance

(York County)

Default Re: Colt Lawman: worth it?

I don't own one, but I can tell you that the Lawman MKIII was the service grade of the Trooper MK III. Just recently, Hickok45 did a nice review of a 1976 Colt Trooper MK III. The video is 20 minutes long and included below. Hope it helps.
    As to your question of shooting out of time, the MK III's are not as prone to do so as the Python can be. The Python, although introduced in 1955, was based off of Colt's century old and sometimes finicky lockwork. The MK III's were a clean sheet design, using a simpler and more robust lock work ( the predecessor of the MK V lock work found in the King Cobra and upscaled for the Anaconda ). I'm not saying that they never run into an issue, but they are no more prone to do so than a comparable S&W L-Frame when eating a steady diet of Magnum cartridges.

below taken from ColtFever website: http://www.coltfever.com/Mark_III.html

Trooper Mark III.
    This was the premium model of the series. This was an adjustable sight, heavy shrouded barrel model fitted with Target grips, Target hammer, and Colt's first Target trigger.
    Barrel lengths offered were 4 inches, 6 inches, and later in production, 8 inches.
    Finishes were a new high gloss bright blue-black, bright nickel, and satin electroless nickel, also known as "Coltguard". This satin electroless nickel finish is often mistaken for stainless steel.
    Calibers were .22LR, .22 Magnum, and .357 Magnum. A few Trooper Mark III's were special ordered by law enforcement in .38 Special.

Lawman.
    The Lawman was a fixed sight Service type revolver.
    It originally had a narrow, grooved Service type hammer and narrow grooved trigger. Later models used the same wide Target hammer as the Trooper Mark III.
    Grips were originally narrow Service grips, but later production were often fitted with Target grips. Nickel and Coltguard finished guns came with Pachmayr "Signature" rubber grips with Colt medallions.
    Barrel lengths were heavy 4 inch, and 2 inch. The early production 2 inch guns had the same exposed ejector rod as the 4 inch version, later production had a heavy, shrouded ejector rod barrel that made the gun look like a giant Detective Special. The 4 inch version retained the exposed ejector rod.
    The 2 inch Lawman also had a rounded butt with special grips that were not used on any other Colt revolver.
    Finishes were bright blue, bright nickel, and satin electroless nickel.
    Caliber was .357 Magnum.
    Last edited by DClan; January 28th, 2015 at 03:17 AM.
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM

Thanks for that information!

they are beautiful revolvers.

As a collector of DA Colts, I'd have to say no. Some people think that all colts are collectible and try to demand premium prices for them, but in reality, the market is really in the Python, Diamondback, Anaconda market with the King Cobras getting some sunshine too. Regarding snubbies, DS get the love and really good condition Cobras.

Troopers III and V, Lawman, and others have been flat. Good shooters but not really demanding the high prices charged by some. One of my 4" favorites was a Trooper. Solid built gun that I did not feel bad shooting as it wasn't hurting the value.

I have been using the MK III revolvers for years and I have not been able to find a heavier duty tool. My long barreled Trooper is as accurate as a short rifle and I have never had a maintenance issue with any of my J frames. I have seen some print about timing issues with J frames but I have never experienced one nor have I heard of any among my Colt cronies. I recently paid top dollar for a brand new Lawman built in 1966 for my CCF piece. I figure that I have a new tool that will be properly cared for from the start and will be carried one day by my grandchildren. The Lawman snub is on the stout side, but it soaks up lots of magnum recoil. It would also be great if one found himself rolling around on a floor with an assailant when a opening occurred that required the revolver to be smashed into an opponents skull. The J frame is not a Ferrari or a collector's dream. It is one of those American workhorses that will soldier on as long as called upon to serve if it is maintained and respected. The great American gunsmith Jerry Kuhnhausen said "These forged framed, short barrel revolvers, although compact, are probably the most solidly constructed. 357's of their size." That is, of course, an opinion, but many years of my use have proven that sentiment. Best Regards...

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonredcapri View Post
    I have been using the MK III revolvers for years and I have not been able to find a heavier duty tool. s...
    the smith N framed 27s and 28s dwarf the troopers in every aspect.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Westmoreland County)

I would and did collect S&W's and that's where I'd go for a shooter. Colt revolver smiths are literally a dying breed. Either way you go, shooting most .38 specials will be easier than a steady diet of magnums. For a steady diet of magnums I'd look seriously at Ruger.

Sir, you might have mentioned that the excellent S & W N frame revolvers are built on a .45 size frame whereas the Colt MK III or J frame revolvers were built on a .41 size frame.

The other point I wanted to make was in the area of durability. When Colt began making the MK III, MK V, King Cobra, and Anaconda series revolvers, the internal parts were no longer made of machined forgings but of sintered metal parts. Sintered metal technology involves moulding liquid steel into parts under tremendous pressure producing an almost perfectly formed part. After hardening and finishing, the sintered part will routinely out last a machined forging IF left unaltered or field misfit. The basis of Colt revolver strength has always been heavy forged and machined frames, cylinders and barrels. Even the frame pins are mechanically installed and not welded in as is the common practice by some other manufacturers. Many of the triggers and hammers in the MK III and MK V revolvers were case hardened and show the same rainbow of colors like the Single Action Army frames exhibit. Every mechanical system is an amalgam of positives and negatives. One hopes, through research, to find the best system available. After most of a lifetime spent as a gun crank, and NOT starting out with Colt products , my experiences have led me to the conclusion that Colt currently has the best overall products in circulation. Even considering the age and costs of units extant.

(Northampton County)

I have a Colt Trooper Mk3 and a S&W model 28, both are great revolvers.

With that said, of the two I prefer the colt over the Smith as for me I think it has less felt recoil. However, I have been told the Smith is dam near indestructible... not something I care to test, but it is a big honking chunk of good old American steel.