Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Trail gun / generla use revolver for NEPA?

Hey all -

I'm looking for an excuse to buy a new 'toy', and have been thinking about getting a wheelgun for a while now... In order to 'justify' the purchase (other half says I'm not allowed to buy any more guns for a while), I'm going to explain that it's needed as a trail gun for protection against snakes and such once we get to the warmer weather... I'm not worried about bears, considering they are generally more afraid of people that we are of them, but mentioning them could help my case I guess...

I'm looking at a Ruger SP101 snubnose, GP100 4", or something else in that general category/size... Is that sufficient? Should I be looking at 6"? Is .357 good enough, or should I be looking more at hunting calibers (44 mag, etc)? Would want to load this up with some snakeshot and some hard cast for the bigger animals... As well as have something that could be a good overall versatile gun, too...

Having never owned a revolver before, this is new territory for me... So any advice/recommendations/etc would be appreciated... Budget is maybe $600 or so....

Thanks!

Default Re: Trail gun / generla use revolver for NEPA?

I am sure someone will chime in quickly to tell you that shooting snakes in PA is illegal in all circumstances, but i will stick to the recommendation... 4in .357 will be more than plenty for what you described. I would look at the GP100, SP 101, or even consider a 410 revolver like the Judge or The S&W governor. You also get to shoot 45 Colt and 45 ACP with the governor. That would be my recommendation to you.

(Lackawanna County)

I carry a glock 20 as a woods gun. I like capacity

(Jefferson County)

As Orlov556 mentioned - shooting snakes is illegal. Even if you had a rattlesnake/copperhead permit -you cannot shoot them. Rattlers must be sexed and measured before harvest(gender and minimum size limits).

The .357 is plenty in PA depending on the load. Statistically you will are more likely to be attacked by a pet dog than a bear, coyote, or venomous snake. This time of year bears will be far and few between. Yotes may be a bit more aggressive if they haven't found other critters in the past week. Snakes, you wont see any snakes this time of year.

Spring to fall - spring might have a few more aggressive bears, but black bears aren't like grizzlies. Rattlers, the only way you'll get bit by a rattler is if you fuck with it or don't give it free birth. Copperheads can be a little belligerent though. Overall, I'd be more concerned about humans and pet/wild dogs(yes, PA has feral dogs).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

A 2-4" Smith or Ruger in .357 is a pretty handy woods gun. You can even get .38 Spl birdshot loads which are good for snakes, but shooting snakes is illegal, isn't it?
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Bucks County)

So, if I was out in the woods, minding my own business, and I got attacked by one of the really big, copperhead rattlesnakes, can I shoot it? I mean, you know, if I had , like, video evidence it was attacking me?

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    So, if I was out in the woods, minding my own business, and I got attacked by one of the really big, copperhead rattlesnakes, can I shoot it? I mean, you know, if I had , like, video evidence it was attacking me?
    If a tree falls and no one hears it, does it make a sound?

Every Spring I discover that 20 or more water snakes in the stream by my house have died of GSW's. I suspect the isis frogs & boco haram trout have joined in an ethnic cleansing, but I can't prove it.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Good luck finding .38 Spcl Snake or Rat shot unless you can load it yourself. If this was your sole reason for a trail gun the the Taurus Public defender or S&W Governor would be your best bet with .410 shot. 45LC is no slouch out of that pistol either from some of the testing I have seen.

Personally if your going to lie I mean stretch the truth to your wife then make it worth while and track down the new S&W Model 69 Combat Magnum .44 magnum. While your at it find 2 of them and give me a shout where I can pick it up.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Good luck finding .38 Spcl Snake or Rat shot unless you can load it yourself. If this was your sole reason for a trail gun the the Taurus Public defender or S&W Governor would be your best bet with .410 shot. 45LC is no slouch out of that pistol either from some of the testing I have seen.

Personally if your going to lie I mean stretch the truth to your wife then make it worth while and track down the new S&W Model 69 Combat Magnum .44 magnum. While your at it find 2 of them and give me a shout where I can pick it up.
    A better way to have played that would have been to clue him in to buying the S&W 69, then offer to let him get away with it if he buys you one too, or you can tell his wife. YES, I know it's wrong to blackmail people, but not if you score a really nice gun out of it!

Watch, some jackass will be along momentarily to call me a racist for using 'blackmail' instead of 'extortion'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast