Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Citadel Full Size M-1911

On impulse, I ordered one from Bud's. It's going to be delivered to my FFL in the next week or so.

It was an impulse buy...one done without large amounts of research. I know, stupid on my part, but the price was right for what it comes with. Next to my first wife, this is the first time buying before trying...and that didn't turn out too well.

What, if any, issues are out there with these handguns?
    "A free people ought to be armed."--George Washington

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Citadel Full Size M-1911

For the money you spent, you won't get hurt, Brother. I personally wouldn't carry one, but I'd have fun with it at the range.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Allegheny County)

I've been carrying a 9mm for the last 10 years or so.

I was looking for something to play with at the range as well getting back into the 1911 platform. The fact that it's a 70 series variant attracted me to it. Is something wrong with it's reliability?
    "A free people ought to be armed."--George Washington

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by stringplucker View Post
    I've been carrying a 9mm for the last 10 years or so.

I was looking for something to play with at the range as well getting back into the 1911 platform. The fact that it's a 70 series variant attracted me to it. Is something wrong with it's reliability?
    I would carry a $500 Glock/XD/MP etc. over a $500 1911 all day, every day, and twice on Sunday. To be done right, the 1911 needs good parts, and great fitting of those parts. That costs money, unfortunately. I tell people this: if you want to experiment with a 1911, buy whatever one you want. If you like it, buy a good one. Dan Wesson, Baer, WC, EB, etc. Those will run every bit as well as a Glock.

Now, somebody will be along to tell you how they have "tons" of rounds through their RIA/Taurus/Tisas etc. and they run like a champ. Most of them have never put more than 500 rounds through their gun in one session.

The 1911 is an enthusiast's gun. You have to WANT to carry a 1911. If you do, buy the best you can. Otherwise, stick with a less expensive pistol that will work. That's my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    The 1911 is an enthusiast's gun. You have to WANT to carry a 1911. If you do, buy the best you can. Otherwise, stick with a less expensive pistol that will work. That's my advice.
    Good advice. I haven't done any research on them, but I'm not aware of any reliability issues with the Citadels. That doesn't imply that I'd carry one as an EDC. For range use or an entry level 1911 it's probably a good choice.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

You have to use Ball Ammo in the Citadel. It tells you that in the manual. I have one and when I tried to use SWC I got fails. When I use ball, I never have an issue.
    20 years USN - OSC

(Butler County)

With regards to the less expensive 1911s like the Rock Island, I am really tempted to see just how bad/good they are. Especially since they back their product with a lifetime warranty.

It seems like there are some serious 1911 snobs out there (not in this thread, just in general) that really look down their nose at people with less expensive 1911s. This elitism and egotism makes me think these lower grade guns have great value.

Bill

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by paplinker22 View Post
    With regards to the less expensive 1911s like the Rock Island, I am really tempted to see just how bad/good they are. Especially since they back their product with a lifetime warranty.

It seems like there are some serious 1911 snobs out there (not in this thread, just in general) that really look down their nose at people with less expensive 1911s. This elitism and egotism makes me think these lower grade guns have great value.

Bill
    It's not snobbery, at least not on my end. It's hard to call somebody a snob when they're recommending you carry a $400-$500 gun.

I like shooting ALL 1911s. Not all of mine are high end, and I still like shooting them, too. Would I carry them? No. People will buy a gun, take it outside once every couple months and put 50 rounds through it, and then clean it. Rinse and repeat. After doing this a few times, the gun now has "thousands" of rounds through it, and is the most reliable pistol EVAR. None of these people will ever put 500+ rounds down range in a class, or single range session. And then do it again, and again, and again, and again. That's when you find out what it's made of.

I have only mid to high end 1911's because I'm an unapologetic 1911 enthusiast. Snob? Maybe.

Not everyone who shoots or buys a 1911 will fall in love with them. That's fine. I'm not a car enthisiast, so a Hemi Charger, ( Or whatever the best muscle car is nowdays), would be wasted on me. I love my old pickup & it suits my needs better than a new Camaro.

If a person has no experience with 1911's, buying a Rock Island or Citadel is probably a smart choice. The fit, finish, quality of parts, reliability & durability in no way will compare to a custom gun or even a production TRP, but they're not supposed to. They're entry level guns that are manufactured to a price point. If you decide you like 1911's, then you can shoot the snot out of your Citadel while you're shopping for mid grade guns or waiting for your full custom Wilson to be built.

Or you can sell it & buy a Glock, which is really a better choice for most people.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    It's not snobbery, at least not on my end.
    No definitely not! Thats why I made sure I mentioned "not anyone in this thread."

Good shooting!

Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast