Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Question about 1911 slide stops

My Taurus 1911 has had some problems since new, and I think they are all related to a crappy slide stop/fit of the slide stop to the frame. I'm confident the problems are not ammo or magazine related. 230gr factory ball and wilson combat mags.

One problem is that the slide will lock on a full magazine (usually the last round being fed). I believe the bullet nose is pushing up on the slide stop while going up the ramp and engaging it. I've had it lock back and the round is halfway out of the mag and halfway up the ramp. Sometimes with this type of problem the extractor will not hook the round's rim.

Another problem is not locking on an empty mag. The slide stop is not very close to the frame. If I push it out a bit from the right side of the frame, it will then be far enough away from the frame to not catch the notch on the slide at all. This is only sometimes though - if I press it back in from the left side of the frame, it's usually fine.

Is it worth it to get some $50 forged ed brown slide stop? Any very good options that are cheaper? I want to fix these problems but it's only a $400 pistol...
    Last edited by jthrelf; January 25th, 2015 at 05:00 PM.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Question about 1911 slide stops

Have you tried other mags? My Kimber hates Wilson mags.

Regardless, it sounds like your stop is loose and you could use an upgrade. On a budget, I'd get a Chip McCormick and go from there.

Lycanstartingpointsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Did you buy the pistol new, if so when? Taurus has excellent customer service and lately their T/A times are fast. If the pistol is whithin it's 1st year they will also pay for the ride both ways.

It's worth giving them the call. I would also venture to say the trouble is not with the slide stop.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Have you tried other mags? My Kimber hates Wilson mags.

Regardless, it sounds like your stop is loose and you could use an upgrade. On a budget, I'd get a Chip McCormick and go from there.

Lycanstartingpointsthrope
    I've tried a colt mag and the Taurus mag that came with it. Similar results.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Did you buy the pistol new, if so when? Taurus has excellent customer service and lately their T/A times are fast. If the pistol is whithin it's 1st year they will also pay for the ride both ways.

It's worth giving them the call. I would also venture to say the trouble is not with the slide stop.
    I called them some time ago and instead of sending it in, they sent me a new slide stop (my suggestion really). It's just that they probably sent me the same part with sub-par tolerances!

Can you explain why you think it's not the slide stop, and what would be your next best guess?

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I've tried a colt mag and the Taurus mag that came with it. Similar results.

I called them some time ago and instead of sending it in, they sent me a new slide stop (my suggestion really). It's just that they probably sent me the same part with sub-par tolerances!

Can you explain why you think it's not the slide stop, and what would be your next best guess?
    The tolerances are not the issue it would be the size if it if the bullet nose were hitting it assuming that it was the actually issue. Taurus makes a very good 1911 so I don't think you have any subpar parts as these are common issues for 1911's. A round has to make 3 jumps before it's chambered in the 1911 the 1st is the jump from the mag ramp then the frame ramp to the barrel ramp an issue with any one of these ramps can cause a trouble. Have you checked the ramps the frame and the barrel for burrs?

When a manufacture offers a excellent warranty always send it in especially if it's on their dime.
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 25th, 2015 at 06:35 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    The tolerances are not the issue it would be the size if it if the bullet nose were hitting it assuming that it was the actually issue. Taurus makes a very good 1911 so I don't think you have any subpar parts as these are common issues for 1911's. A round has to make 3 jumps before it's chambered in the 1911 the 1st is the jump from the mag ramp then the frame ramp to the barrel ramp an issue with any one of these ramps can cause a trouble. Have you checked the ramps the frame and the barrel for burrs?

When a manufacture offers a excellent warranty always send it in especially if it's on their dime.
    Frame and barrel ramps are perfectly polished, no burrs.

Thank you for the suggestions!

If you truly feel it's the slide stop then before replacing it with another standard size slide stop even if it's another brand forged or MIM wont make any difference if fitting is required for this particular pistol.

1st does this only happen with 230gr Ball ammunition have you tried HP's or 200gr hardball? If it's only the 230gr ball ammo then it can be due to the last round or 2 not being seated all the way back in the mag by the time they are ready to be fired and the over sized head on the round is bumping the release. Proving it is easy just get some 200gr ball and see if the issue goes away if it does then the stop needs to be fitted if it still does it then it's another issue.

You carefully take off or smooth the area of the slide release which touches the magazine lip until the problem is resolved a little bit at a time then reassemble for testing. Using snap caps or make a few dummy rounds put them in a magazine. Take the gun and lock the slide back with the slide release, Slowly load the mag of dummy rounds to see what area of the bullet hits the release and this is where the minor adjustments to the slide release will need to be done. You may need to move the round forward a bit in the mag to get it to connect with the area that needs to be fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post

This really surprises me. I am down to 4 PT 1911's after owning 11 at one time and never could get Taurus to send me a part. They always told me they do not sell or give parts and wanted the whole gun to inspect why the part failed. The first hammer I torched, they told me to send in the gun and I'd have to pay instead of sending me a hammer at my expense. It is the only thing I hated about them. At any rate, can you post a pic of the inside of the action with the round partially fed?

FWIW, I seriously doubt the part is sub par. People can accept it or not...Taurus is a leader in MIM. If your SS is slipping out, you prolly have an out of spec hole in the frame or someone before you dicked it up.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

It is possible for the bullet to nudge the slide stop and lock the slide.
    Sharpie the lug that projects through the tombstone into the magazine well to check this.

It's also possible one of your fingers or part of your hand is activating the stop.It's also possible the holes in your gun are mis-located or the slide stop is off dimension.

Taurus has had horrible quality control over the years and their guns reflect that. They are designed around a price point, not workmanship and quality.

That said, they have the best warranty going. I decline to repair or modify any product from them for two reasons, the first because of the quality issues mentioned and the second because it makes no sense to pay the gunsmith to fix it when the factory will fix it under warranty.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Westmoreland County)

Well, once again Lycanthrope is jumping in with his 1911 expertise to help out another poor soul (like myself) with a slide stop issue. Lycanthrope is pretty good with this stuff and takes a logical approach to it. Read what he post as his info is "good stuff."

BTW, after my slide stop post, I found this link: http://www.shotgunnews.com/guns/hand...1-slide-stops/about slide stop troubles. I was a bit perplexed as to why it was in a shotgun magazine.....but I'll take free info from where I can get it.

Anyway....review this and see if it helps you.

FWIW

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast