Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    North of I-80
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    1802891

    Default Hoppes No.9 headache!

    I started cleaning an M1 this evening in the garage, and after 30 minutes got the worse headache.. One of the few reasons I don't use it more.. I guess I can only really use no.9 in the summer when I can open the doors.

    Head still hurts 40 minutes later... any one else ever have this issue with this stuff.. I typically refrain from using it, simply because of this reason but had a dirty gas port I wanted to scrub.

    I have some more expensive stuff as many will likely mention, but a bottle and a half of No.9, and figured I would use it on the port..

    My fuzzy memory now knows why the bottle looks antique... over 15 years old..
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    somewhere, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,747
    Rep Power
    21474846

    Default Re: Hoppes No.9 headache!

    Quote Originally Posted by tollster View Post
    I started cleaning an M1 this evening in the garage, and after 30 minutes got the worse headache.. One of the few reasons I don't use it more.. I guess I can only really use no.9 in the summer when I can open the doors.

    Head still hurts 40 minutes later... any one else ever have this issue with this stuff.. I typically refrain from using it, simply because of this reason but had a dirty gas port I wanted to scrub.

    I have some more expensive stuff as many will likely mention, but a bottle and a half of No.9, and figured I would use it on the port..

    My fuzzy memory now knows why the bottle looks antique... over 15 years old..
    I clean my guns in the basement. When I do, I put on a fan.

    If I clean more than one gun, then I will sometimes get a headache from the stuff. What i do to mitigate this effect is after dipping the cloth in the bottle, I close the bottle and keep it closed until I need it again. Keeping it open will saturate the air with the fumes.

    I've heard of some folks using just ballistol to clean. Maybe that could help.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    25,875
    Rep Power
    21474874

    Default Re: Hoppes No.9 headache!




    No stink.
    Problem solved.
    Pittsburgh GROUP SHOOT - Eat BACON!!! Shoot PUMPKINS!!! Oct 19, 2019 - INFO HERE

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tioga County, Pennsylvania
    (Tioga County)
    Posts
    4,415
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Hoppes No.9 headache!

    I have to immediately put the lid back on the Hoppe's when I use it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    670
    Rep Power
    8940430

    Default Re: Hoppes No.9 headache!

    Yeah it's definitely pungent. I avoid using it in the apartment and instead opt to run a patch or three right at the range with the bottle, seal the bottle back up in a bag, roughly dry out the bore and go home for G96 (or CLP).

    Pungent... but does a damn good job. I always run a small household fan, and open windows when I can.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post



    No stink.
    Problem solved.

    Oh? what is this fine stuff you got here...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Newport, Pennsylvania
    (Perry County)
    Age
    54
    Posts
    4,898
    Rep Power
    21474851

    Default Re: Hoppes No.9 headache!

    I make my wife wear it as perfume. I put it in a wax melt warmer to enhance the scent. I rub it on my chest like Vics.

    I am a gunslinger.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

    "He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

    "Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Someplace
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    2383375

    Default Re: Hoppes No.9 headache!

    It doesn't bother me at all but sometimes I use a fan if other people are around. Although I usually clean with Hoppe's 9, I also use a lot of brake cleaner, and a penetrating oil called Zep 45NC. It does a pretty good job of breaking up crud and rust. Also much cheaper than Hoppe's 9, and functions as a lubricating oil to boot.

    Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I make my wife wear it as perfume. I put it in a wax melt warmer to enhance the scent. I rub it on my chest like Vics.

    I am a gunslinger.
    They say a good woman appreciates the smell of Hoppe's 9.
    Open-minded liberals are as real as a free lunch.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    25,875
    Rep Power
    21474874

    Default Re: Hoppes No.9 headache!

    Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    Yeah it's definitely pungent. I avoid using it in the apartment and instead opt to run a patch or three right at the range with the bottle, seal the bottle back up in a bag, roughly dry out the bore and go home for G96 (or CLP).

    Pungent... but does a damn good job. I always run a small household fan, and open windows when I can.




    Oh? what is this fine stuff you got here...

    Weapon Shield? It's a modern CLP made right here in PA - not far from Pittsburgh actually.

    Met the owner at a group shoot a few years back. He used to offer a free small bottle or oiler pen for the asking - not sure if he still does.

    Goes a long way, cleans well enough, protects, lubes, and has a pleasant odor.

    Check this link. They have decent prices and various "packages".
    I highly recommend the oil pen. It allows precise application where you want it and reduces wasted lube from applying too much straight from the bottle.


    Like Frank's, I put that shit on EVERYTHING.


    WEAPON SHIELD
    website
    Last edited by Emptymag; January 24th, 2015 at 12:09 AM.
    Pittsburgh GROUP SHOOT - Eat BACON!!! Shoot PUMPKINS!!! Oct 19, 2019 - INFO HERE

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bucks County, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    2,025
    Rep Power
    21474846

    Default Re: Hoppes No.9 headache!

    My wife likes the aroma of Hoppes 9! Works every bit as well as dinner and a chick flick.
    That said, I get horrible migraines, and a lot of them are triggered by scents. Grandpa used to get them and he came up with a cure. 6 No-Doze tabs washed sown with a liter of Mountain Dew. Works, but you won't be getting any sleep for while. I've tried Excedrin Migraine. Doesn't work for me, but, if you can find a Zee Medical job box, they have Pain-Away. Take three tabs and a Mountain Dew and it kills a migraine. same formula as Excedrin Migraine but one works and the other doesn't , for me anyway.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mohnton, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    5,989
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: Hoppes No.9 headache!

    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Weapon Shield? It's a modern CLP made right here in PA - not far from Pittsburgh actually.

    Met the owner at a group shoot a few years back. He used to offer a free small bottle or oiler pen for the asking - not sure if he still does.

    Goes a long way, cleans well enough, protects, lubes, and has a pleasant odor.

    Check this link. They have decent prices and various "packages".
    I highly recommend the oil pen. It allows precise application where you want it and reduces wasted lube from applying too much straight from the bottle.


    Like Frank's, I put that shit on EVERYTHING.


    WEAPON SHIELD
    website
    I bought some. I was looking for them for 2 years, but didn't remember the name. The shipping was high.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. fingerprinting headache!
    By vetter3006 in forum General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: February 11th, 2012, 11:40 PM
  2. AK's are giving me a headache
    By bortle in forum Rifles
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: April 13th, 2011, 06:44 PM
  3. Benelli M1 Super 90 Headache
    By mickey01023 in forum Shotguns
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 10th, 2011, 07:52 PM
  4. If you want to give yourself a headache...
    By Avi90 in forum General
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: April 8th, 2010, 04:09 AM
  5. Another NJ-Induced Headache On the Horizon!
    By Arcana71 in forum General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: December 18th, 2006, 02:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops