Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Ruger Alaskan range impressions

So I finally got to take the Ruger SRH Alaskan out for some range time. I got this gun used locally, sent it back to Ruger for a tune up, and it seems like-new.

Since my local range does NOT allow 454 casull, it was 45 Colt only today. That's fine for me, since I carry and keep it loaded with 45 colt 255 grain SWC @ 1000 ft/s.

I shot three different loads: Underwood 45 Colt 250 gr. FMJ (850 ft/s), Underwood 45 colt 255 gr. SWC (1000 ft/s), and Underwood 45 300 gr. XTP (1300 ft/s).

All loads shot POA except the 300 grain loads, which shot high. Shooting was done at 10 yards, all double action shooting.

I must say, 45 Colt can be a fire-breather in such a short barrel. Surprisingly, the target loads (850 ft/s) had impressive muzzle flash. These were the lightest loads I shot, and they certainly bark and jump even in this stout Alaskan. The 255 gr. loads thumped hard, but definitely controlable. And the 300 gr. XTP's had recoil similar to 44 magnums (but not as loud).

What surprised me the most about 45 Colt is how POWERFUL this round feels even in a 42 ounce gun like this Alaskan. It's puzzling to me that 230 gr. 45 acp even in a compact gun like a Glock 30 kicks and barks less than a 250 gr. FMJ (850 ft/s) 45 Colt in this Alaskan. Gives me a lot of new respect for this old cartridge.

I'm a new fan of 45 Colt. And, I should say that this Ruger Alaskan is the lightest and smallest 45 Colt revolver that is capable of safely handling a diet of heavy and +P 45 Colt loads. It's a VERY versatile revolver that fills the role of defensive handgun extremely well.

Here's a target, 6 rounds at 10 yards, double action shooting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Ruger Alaskan range impressions

The .45 colt is no slouch when in a modern well made firearm. The Alaskans are nice wheel guns however every time I look at one I think the barrel should have been made 4" instead of 2 1/2".

Default Re: Ruger Alaskan range impressions

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    The .45 colt is no slouch when in a modern well made firearm. The Alaskans are nice wheel guns however every time I look at one I think the barrel should have been made 4" instead of 2 1/2".
    I agree, a 4'' barrel doesn't really carry any worse than a 2.5'' barrel in terms of length. Ruger makes a Redhawk in .45 Colt with a 4 inch barrel, but that thing weighs 46 ounces!!

For carry and weight to power/strength ratio, the Alaskan cannot be beat IMO.