Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Carrying Double Action Revolver Cocked?

If any of you follow the general section, you may know I am now the proud owner of a stainless Ruger GP100. And as any proud owner would do, I would like to carry it from time to time. My question, which I can't seem to find through Google, is it a good or bad idea to carry a double action revolver with the hammer cocked back?
    I'm one of those "carry a semi auto with one in the chamber" people, so carrying a revolver cocked would be just the same in my opinion.
    I'm aware I can leave it hammer down and just pull on a heavier trigger if need be, but I'm curious of everyone's opinion on this.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Carrying Double Action Revolver Cocked?

My opinion: terrible idea. There's no safety, and the gun will fire if breathed on.

I assume you're kidding.....

(Perry County)

Bad idea. Even the Glock has the trigger safety. You're a couple of pounds away from a negligent discharge and no safety. Leave the hammer down.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Chester County)

I'm not going to jump on the train of impending flame comming your way but NO! Never carry any wheel gun that way. There is a reason every revolver has no manual saftey, which is the long heavy double action pull is indeed the only saftey. Again, no do not carry this way. You are begging for a ND if you do.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    My opinion: terrible idea. There's no safety, and the gun will fire if breathed on.

I assume you're kidding.....
    I know having the hammer back gives the gun a very light trigger pull. Which in a holster shouldn't be a problem. Also shouldn't be a problem if I trust my training enough to keep my finger off the trigger if I ever have to draw my gun. But I know everyone can make mistakes and that would be a costly mistake to make.

Like I said, I'm just curious on opinions. Being my first revolver I'm not completely sure of the Do's and Don't s of carry, trying to educate myself

(Mercer County)

Absolutely not. That's a very, very bad idea.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Luzerne County)

Carrying a cocked revolver is NOT, repeat NOT the same as carrying one in the chamber.

Carrying a cocked revolver is one of the dumbest ideas on the planet.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jsaranczak View Post
    I know having the hammer back gives the gun a very light trigger pull. Which in a holster shouldn't be a problem.
    It will be a problem in a holster. If Ruger is like other DA revolvers, there's no firing pin block or any safety mechanism in that position. All you have is the precarious friction holding the hammer back. Someone bumps into you, and it can release.

Quote Originally Posted by jsaranczak View Post
    I know having the hammer back gives the gun a very light trigger pull. Which in a holster shouldn't be a problem. Also shouldn't be a problem if I trust my training enough to keep my finger off the trigger if I ever have to draw my gun. But I know everyone can make mistakes and that would be a costly mistake to make.

Like I said, I'm just curious on opinions. Being my first revolver I'm not completely sure of the Do's and Don't s of carry, trying to educate myself
    Every heard of the term "cocked and locked" that means on a SA pistol like a 1911 your safety is locked when the pistol is cocked. This isn't just because one may pull the trigger with their finger it stops the hammer from falling due to other reasons like being bumped or dropped.

Ultimately you are responsible for your actions and your surroundings. If you were to carry this way and the pistol went off I would consider it much more then a negligent discharge since you knowingly chose to carry a revolver in a way that is recommended against by the manufacture and the entire responsible shooting community.

(Philadelphia County)

To prevent further flaming, based on the unanimous response, I will not carry my revolver cocked.
    While we're on the subject, any other don't s of carrying a revolver?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast