Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Carrying Double Action Revolver Cocked?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Necromancer rise from the dead

What now? I mean your wish master.

Use a bic pen. The little blue cap on the back is hard not like a rubber eraser. The bic will hit the ceiling with any properly functioning pistol.

Yes master.

Good little Necro...
    WTF? You got some 'shrooms there or what?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Delaware County)

I have to admit, that was a scary question OP.... lol. If you’re serious about carrying your 6 shot, just practice DA shooting. SA shooting is useless for the most part with a wheel gun.
    Enjoy the GP100!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    WTF? You got some 'shrooms there or what?
    Colorado mountain high It was joke commentary on all the dead thread resurrection around here. It played on the geek commentary that is pervasive on here. Specifically Guild Wars with a touch of War Craft. Oh yeah and a tip for checking firing pin energy transfer.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jsaranczak View Post
    I know having the hammer back gives the gun a very light trigger pull. Which in a holster shouldn't be a problem. Also shouldn't be a problem if I trust my training enough to keep my finger off the trigger if I ever have to draw my gun. But I know everyone can make mistakes and that would be a costly mistake to make.

Like I said, I'm just curious on opinions. Being my first revolver I'm not completely sure of the Do's and Don't s of carry, trying to educate myself
    If you need to draw your gun, it likely won't be under calm, range type conditions. eg, running, fighting off a bad guy, on the ground, in your car, etc. There's just too much that can go wrong. Don't.

Bob D

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    A much easier way to check the function of the transfer bar. Take your unloaded revolver and hold it looking through the gap between the rear of the cylinder and frame (using a monitor or TV screen as a background aids the visual greatly) Cock the hammer and De cock it pulling the trigger and slowly lowering the hammer with your thumb until it is at rest keeping the trigger fully pulled, you will see the firing pin protruding through the frame. release the trigger and the firing pin will retract into the frame pushing the hammer to the rear a 1/16" or so, if you release the trigger at any time during the hammer "fall" while decocking the firing pin will not protrude the frame/breech face
    Now, his post was 4 years old, so I can't say for sure but... I don't think he was trying to demonstrate how to check the transfer bar per se. Rather, I think he was trying to make the point that, even if the trigger is actuated during a drop due to inertia, it is unlikely that the firearm will fire, because such force will not pin the trigger to the rear long enough for the transfer bar to be in the proper position by the time the hammer strikes it for ignition. Not a guarantee, but a decent chance.

Quote Originally Posted by jsaranczak View Post
    I know having the hammer back gives the gun a very light trigger pull. Which in a holster shouldn't be a problem. Also shouldn't be a problem if I trust my training enough to keep my finger off the trigger if I ever have to draw my gun. But I know everyone can make mistakes and that would be a costly mistake to make.

Like I said, I'm just curious on opinions. Being my first revolver I'm not completely sure of the Do's and Don't s of carry, trying to educate myself
    It's a biblically bad idea which literally nobody recommends.

Aside from being insanely dangerous, it's utterly pointless in a double action revolver.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

Not sure if the original poster is a troll or just plain ignorant. The original poster needs to get firearms safety training. Please do not carry anything but a can of mace until you receive some formal firearms training. I am not saying that the question is stupid as not asking would be stupid but the question does indicate that you need training prior to carrying anything more than a can of tear gas spray and I mean that. Call a local range, the NRA or even a hunter safety course. It appears you are lacking even a basic knowledge of firearms safety and operation.

(Allegheny County)

This is not a "flame." But take it from the top ...

Your revolver is SA/DA. Both. As such, it is a "one handed" weapon; meaning you can pull and fire it using only one hand. So if you have a baby in one arm, or you only have one arm, you can still pull and put down a charging rabid dog without dropping the baby or needing a second arm.

A single-action semi-auto is a "two handed" weapon; meaning that in normal circumstances you need two hands to pull it, chamber a round, and fire it. (I am putting aside for the moment all the contortions one is taught for chambering a round when one of one's hands is disabled - they are cool and all, but they take time and are harder to do.) One could carry a round chambered and the hammer down, so as to be able to pull the pistol with one hand, cock it with the thumb of that hand, and fire it. But that is slow, clumsy, and unsafe without a transfer bar or internal safety.

The solution used with many semi-auto pistols (like the 1911) was to use two external safeties (one on the slide and one on the grip) so one can carry "cocked and locked," not shoot oneself, and still be able to pull and fire the pistol with one hand.

There is no reason to carry the SA/DA revolver cocked, since one can pull the revolver and fire it in DA mode just fine. With an internal transfer bar or similar device to preclude a blow on the hammer from forcing the firing pin down on the primer of the round in the chamber, the revolver can be carried safely hammer down. All problems are thus solved.

If you cock the revolver (whether it is a single-action or a double-action type), you will substantially reduce the amount of pressure on the trigger necessary to discharge the revolver. While in theory this should not be an issue with the revolver in the holster, hitting the hammer on a desk or something can cause the hammer to drop and the revolver to discharge. More important, having that very light trigger pull definitely increases the risk of an ND while presenting or holstering. This introduces a significant risk, with no corresponding benefit to you. This is not a "training issue," because shit happens even to well-trained individuals.

No abuse intended. But this is why you should not carry a revolver (single action OR double action) cocked and holstered.

As for "other advice," be aware of what can cause a revolver to malfunction, and how to fix the various types. People who buy revolvers for their wives or girlfriends because revolvers are "more reliable" don't understand either revolvers, or the fact their wives or girlfriends are not likely so stupid they can't deal with a pistol malfunction at least as well as their husband or boyfriend can. High primers, dud primers, unwinding the cylinder, cold lubricant, and a bit of un-burned powder behind the star come immediately to mind as malfunction inducing. Some are "cleared" by pulling the trigger again - easier than with a pistol. Some require tools and bench-time.

You seem to value training. A two-day revolver course will lay it all out for you.

(Clearfield County)

OP has not been on the site since 2015. You will need a time machine to scold him.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    OP has not been on the site since 2015. You will need a time machine to scold him.
    HA! The joke is on me!

(But I wasn't scolding him.)

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast