Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Re: Carrying Double Action Revolver Cocked?

Quote Originally Posted by jsaranczak View Post
    To prevent further flaming, based on the unanimous response, I will not carry my revolver cocked.
    While we're on the subject, any other don't s of carrying a revolver?
    Yeah, don't thumb cock it when training for self-defense. You can thumb cock it for longer range shots, but most of your range work should be practicing running the double action trigger.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Bucks County)

To prevent further flaming, based on the unanimous response, I will not carry my revolver cocked.
    A lot of gear choice is based on YOUR subjective set of risk tradeoffs. If you're comfortable with the odds that your self defense shooting (should it ever happen) will require 5 or 6 shots to completion, then I don't see a big disadvantage. Probably most do. But reloading a revolver is a drag, as compared to a semi-auto. It all comes down to your personal assessment of what scenarios are likely. You pay your money and you take your chances.

I will say this. As you progress along and want to take classes, you'll fine a homogenization of class equipment: classes are set up entirely for semi-autos, carried with round in chamber, carried on strong side belt holsters. If you want to get into training, that's the deal.
    Last edited by dgg9; January 22nd, 2015 at 12:16 AM.

(Perry County)

Do not shove it up your butt to carry it.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/...in-butt-765912
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Delaware County)

Well, props for at least having the good sense to question the practice before actually trying it and finding out the answer the hard (and possibly deadly) way.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    Well, props for at least having the good sense to question the practice before actually trying it and finding out the answer the hard (and possibly deadly) way.
    ^^^this. I start every class by telling people that I know they've heard that there's no such thing as a stupid question, and that it isn't true. We hear stupid questions everyday. However, as it pertains to firearms law and safety, there truly is NO such thing as a stupid question. What you don't know can get you hurt, killed, or thrown in jail. Always ask. There's no shame in not knowing something, only in being too proud to ask for advice.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    A lot of gear choice is based on YOUR subjective set of risk tradeoffs. If you're comfortable with the odds that your self defense shooting (should it ever happen) will require 5 or 6 shots to completion, then I don't see a big disadvantage. Probably most do. But reloading a revolver is a drag, as compared to a semi-auto. It all comes down to your personal assessment of what scenarios are likely. You pay your money and you take your chances.
    My usual carry is a semi auto with 12 rounds plus a spare mag, which does offer better peace of mind. But 6 rounds in the cylinder plus 2 speed reloaders leaves me confident as well

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    Thank you Gman

(Bucks County)

My usual carry is a semi auto with 12 rounds plus a spare mag, which does offer better peace of mind. But 6 rounds in the cylinder plus 2 speed reloaders leaves me confident as well
    I guess you should step back and reanalyze. What's the value-add of a heavy-for-its-capacity revolver with a long reload time? In what way is the lighter and easier to conceal Glock 19, with 15+1 rounds on tap, a lesser choice? We know what the wondernine brings to the table. What exactly does the revolver bring to the table?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    I guess you should step back and reanalyze. What's the value-add of a heavy-for-its-capacity revolver with a long reload time? In what way is the lighter and easier to conceal Glock 19, with 15+1 rounds on tap, a lesser choice? We know what the wondernine brings to the table. What exactly does the revolver bring to the table?
    Really every firearm has its trade off's. So to each his own. My main reason for choosing to carry the revolver on the occasions I may would be because it's a beautiful gun that makes a great open carry piece. And the 18 shots of 357 would get me through anything short of a zombie outbreak.
    I love semi autos and revolvers all the same. So I do not have a favorite to carry. Both have their trade off's.

(Philadelphia County)

Be careful when holstering the weapon.
    Ya don't want the hammer getting caught on something, and then possibly becoming snagged and/or released on a loaded chamber.

Look for a holster with a top strap.
    One that will keep the hammer secure when carrying.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast