Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default LNL modified case

I have been looking for an 8X57 LNL modified case, no one has then in stock, and I have one on back order from Mid-South coming up on 3 months. Mid-way is also out of them and will not back order the 8X57.
    I have checked every place I can think of no one has the 8X57. My question is this, do you see any reason I could not get another 3006 Modified case and case form it to 8X57. I have case formed 06 into 8X57. The Modified cases are relatively cheap.

(Berks County)

Default Re: LNL modified case

or just drill and tap your own 8X57 case.

(Westmoreland County)

I don't know what it takes to modify the '06 case to the 8x57. If you modify it for shooting, do you have to actually shoot it in order for the case to be fire formed to your chamber?

Several years ago I purchased the tap to make my own LNL modified cases so that I could use my own rifles fireformed brass. Now, Hornady was smart enough to use a thread pitch and size that you just can't buy at your local hardware store. It's a rare size that you can find on-line, but if your going to do that, plan on buying a few more items to justify the shipping cost. At least, that's what I did.

The good part is you will only need one tap as your only tapping brass....and if you break the tap just tapping brass.....you have done something wrong!!!

Post if you want the size. I'll have to get the tap and look at the size and TPI.

Dave

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks I may just order an extra 06 modified case. I have case formed 06 brass to 8X57. It’s not that difficult, trimming the excess length was the worst of it. I cast 8MM bullets so I have the Lyman M-die and can open the neck of the case formed 06. So a jacketed 8MM bullet would move easily through the modified case. I was more concerned as to the case itself. If the case is the same composition as a standard brass case or should I anneal before case forming.

(Westmoreland County)

My concern was how are you going to get your shoulder "blown out" on your case without firing it? The only case that I've ever modified was the 30-30 into a 7-30 Waters. The size and trim was the easy part, but before I could load 'em up for real shooting the first thing that needed done was to "burn" a bullet and some powder in order to get the 7-30 shoulder to match up with the barrel's correct shoulder angle. The first shot would blow out the brass to do this.

BTW....the tap size is 5/16-36 and one of the few places that carries this tap is Victory Machine. http://www.victornet.com/detail/TAST-5/16-36.html This tap is found under their "Special Pitch Taps".

FWIW

Dave

(Westmoreland County)

30 06 to 8x57 you do not need to fire form the case, you set the shoulder back, and you end up with a case with a very long neck. The 06 cases I formed into 8MM I needed to trim close to a ¼ inch off the cases.

Bumping the shoulder back is my concern, I may just order two 06 cases, they are not that expensive. If the first attempt fails I will anneal the second and try again.
    Last edited by hornady; January 22nd, 2015 at 03:27 PM.