Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Default Need recommendation for a scope - muzzleloader and shotgun

I'm looking for a scope (no more than $250) that will be suitable for both my muzzleloader and for hunting turkey with my shotgun. Is there a good scope that will do both satisfactorily or am I better served buying separate scopes for each firearm?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Need recommendation for a scope - muzzleloader and shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
    I'm looking for a scope (no more than $250) that will be suitable for both my muzzleloader and for hunting turkey with my shotgun. Is there a good scope that will do both satisfactorily or am I better served buying separate scopes for each firearm?
    I would buy separate scopes. I would put a 3-9 on the muzzleloader(I have a Simmons Aetec 2.8-10X44 on my inline). The inlines will shoot accurately out to 150 yards easy. I shot a doe in early season laser rangefinder after the fact at 165 yards. Nikon Pro Staff would probably suit you fine, or a Burris, Nikon Buckmaster, etc...

I would put a simmons pro turkey shotgun scope on for turkeys. It should cost you somewhere in the range of $100. I think it is a pro turkey, it is the same concept of the simmons pro diamond for deer. Really nice shotgun scope, never had a problem with mine.

Ron

(Lancaster County)

I would go with a Nikon Prostaff for the ML in 2-7 @ $129.00.

I have a few of these and they are an overlooked bargain.

Super bright looking thru the tube with a "Niko-Plex" crosshair.

I have one mounted on an 50 cal. inline and have taken several deer to date.
    I also have one mounted on an PTR91 and compared to the Leupold 2-7 mounted on a Cetme of mine the Nikon Prostaff comes out the winner.

I would not consider using a (any) scope such as this for shotgun mounting and the hunting of turkey. I'd much rather use a red dot setup. MHO.

Taking a turkey with shot down a smooth tube requires some close in and usually quick work. There are a number of red dot setups out there that should fill your needs. I have an O/U .222-20ga. with such a setup on it.
    The heads up display has so far withstood the recoil from 3" 20's and it is one of the cheaper variations out there. I have a Tasco PDP3 red dot mounted on a 44mag for years. I handload 300gr. hard cast and recoil is shocking to some.
    The PDP3 has never left me down and I've taken a number of nice buck/doe and spent a good amount of time with it on the range.
    Red dots are (MHO) just the ticket for quick and close in work.
    YMMV
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

(York County)

I own both the Nikon BDC scopes muzzleloader and sabot slug and so far they are great. Like said before I would not put a scope on a Turkey gun. I like my Bushnell red/green dot because it's 1x an you can get on the turkey very quick. The red/green choice is great for low light (green) and bright days (red).-BB
    The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
    -Ted Nugent