Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Gunzilla For Corrosive Ammo

Wasn't really sure where to post this, but considering this is where the repeated "I'm so deathly afraid of corrosive ammo" threads always pop up, it seems as good a place as any...

About two months ago I decided to try and find an all purpose cleaning/lubricating/protecting solution that I could use for all of my guns--including the ones I fire corrosive ammunition from. My thinking was that ever popular SHTF scenario, in which supplies will be limited and pouring hot water or windex down a barrel may not be realistic.

I read about Gunzilla and in the company's product description they state that it eliminates the salts from corrosive primers, while acting as an all in one CLP type solution.

I also liked what I had read about it being easier on the skin than other products as my girlfriend is very sensitive to the other chemicals I had been using.

So I made the switch, and here are my findings:

THE GOOD

1. It does appear to work as advertised on corrosive salts. I still make sure to give a detailed cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo, but during this experiment I used only the Gunzilla cleaner on my AKS-74. After 5 range trips and about 1000 rounds of corrosive surplus ammunition, I still see no signs of rust using Gunzilla.

2. It's an excellent cleaner. I've now used it on all of my guns, regardless of ammunition, and it works like a charm. I find that the number of times I must swab barrels is significantly reduced using this product.

3. It seems to work just fine as a lubricant. I haven't had any jams in any of my guns using Gunzilla as the CLP solution. It is noticeably "thinner" than other products like Weaponshield or Break-Free, but that doesn't seem to affect it's usefulness.

4. It doesn't smell bad. Not necessarily the biggest issue, but that ought to please some wives and girlfriends out there.

5. Cleanup is easy. Soap and water and it's off my hands. No lingering smell.

THE BAD

1. Availability. Nobody carries this stuff. I had to order it online to get it in large quantities. There is a shop in Elizabethtown, Bullseye Shooter's Source, that sells small bottles but that's about it in my area.

2. Price. It's a little more expensive than other cleaners like Break-Free or Hoppe's. But the fact that I seem to be using less of it makes up for that to me.

3. It removes carbon fouling and appears to remove lead fouling, but not copper. The occasional use of a copper solvent would still be necessary.

In my opinion the good far outweighs the bad. I don't mind ordering online, but hopefully this will peak the interest of some other surplus shooters out there who will suggest their shops stock it.

I know that there are plenty of shooters out there who don't mind cleaning up after corrosive the old fashioned way, and that's great. For me, this is a better solution. I have limited space, and often limited time, so cutting out the hot water/windex step is helpful. Plus I like that I can stock up on one type of cleaning solution to use for everything.

Anyhow, I hope this is helpful info for any surplus shooters out there.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Gunzilla For Corrosive Ammo

I've been using Gunzilla exclusively for the past 3 month's on all of my firearms. I'm happy with the results. I think the smell is kind of weird.
    Toujours prêt

(Lancaster County)

Yeah, it is a little weird, but I got used to it. I just really like that it doesn't linger afterward. The absence of whining and complaining is absolutely priceless.

(Montgomery County)

I've been using it for just about a year now, and I find that after using it for the first 3-4 times each successive cleaning got easier. After that, it pretty much stayed at the same level of ease. I would not go to another cleaning product after using this stuff. The only things I use with it is Slide Glide for when I need grease, and Gun Butter when I just need a drop of plain oil.
    - May the forCZe be with you.

You need to investigate Gun Butter. The best firearm lubricant in the known universe!!! I'm here to tell you there is no better, hands down. You can depend on it with you life... the Navy Seals do!!! If you use it as prescribed you will change your cleaning procedure and supplies. Guaranteed! Protects from corrosive ammo and corrosion in general (I live in salt central. I can attest). Anywho, after you install you will note easier trigger movement (trigger job in a bottle), no friction only spring tensions. And easier cleanings. New weapons benefit from break in additives. Older weapons benefit from the added protection of no more wear! Every weapon needs to be BUTTERED!!!!! Check out the Comments and Posts at: http://www.gunbutter.com/
    Especially the Special Forces
    BTW the PA State Police know about Gun Butter!!!