Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Obtaining a non-resident carry permit

I live in NYS and have learned that my Utah non-resident license is no longer valid in Pennsylvania. Can someone tell me the steps to take to obtain a ccw in Pennsylvania?

Thank you for your help

Default Re: Obtaining a non-resident carry permit

Quote Originally Posted by SherryB View Post
    I live in NYS and have learned that my Utah non-resident license is no longer valid in Pennsylvania. Can someone tell me the steps to take to obtain a ccw in Pennsylvania?

Thank you for your help
    I believe you must have a permit issued by your home state to get a non-resident LTCF in PA.

Hopefully I am wrong and someone will show me the way around this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

You need a non restricted permit from NY then you need to apply in person to a county of your choice. You will need to shop around a bit to find a sheriff that will issue to a non resident. By law they have to issue, but some of them choose to ignore the law...go figure.
    FUCK BIDEN

If you have a NYS Pistol License (even with target/hunting restrictions), both Centre and Lackawanna Counties will issue you a PA LTC. You will need to apply in person though.

A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. §921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).
    The quoted law for clarity.
    Although I'm fine with sheriff's issuing a ltcf to individuals with restricted carry permits. Many if not most sheriffs view "similar document" to mean similar to the ltcf. A restricted permit more closely reflects our Sportsmen's permit as far as transportation is concerned. Or at least that's how I reads it. YMMV.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    The quoted law for clarity.
    Although I'm fine with sheriff's issuing a ltcf to individuals with restricted carry permits. Many if not most sheriffs view "similar document" to mean similar to the ltcf. A restricted permit more closely reflects our Sportsmen's permit as far as transportation is concerned. Or at least that's how I reads it. YMMV.
    I've said in the past that NY's restricted Home/Target Range Permit is probably not a "similar" document if things came down to a court ruling. However some sheriffs are accepting it as such. I certainly wouldn't want anyone raising this question before the Superior Court of PA with their recent theme of jurisprudence.

On the bright side of things, many of NYS's rural counties do issue full permits on a near shall-issue basis. So, the OP could have one.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    On the bright side of things, many of NYS's rural counties do issue full permits on a near shall-issue basis. So, the OP could have one.
    Agreed. I know numerous people with unrestricted permits from NYS.
    FUCK BIDEN

Thanks to all of you for responding. Yes, I do have a non-restricted NYS pistol permit. I travel through Pennsylvania several times a year and found out recently that PA no longer accepts my Utah non-resident permit. The Utah non-resident permit is good in about 35 or so states. I made contact today with the sheriff in Erie County who told me I need to bring my NYS pistol permit and my NYS driver's license.

Sherry from Rochester