Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Reloading Shotgun Shells....

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Sounds like a bunch of die hards at your club. Is there no talking and all the rest of the things that take the fun out of shooting? I use to stay away from people like that, we shot for fun.
    I don't think they are that uptight, I shoot for fun too. You can have fun and be serious at the same time, nothing wrong with trying to hit every bird and whatever helps achieve that is cool.

I know about the special loads from asking questions when I started reloading shotshells. I'm not that anal. I do 'lighten' some loads for my wife though.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post

I know about the special loads from asking questions when I started reloading shotshells. I'm not that anal. I do 'lighten' some loads for my wife though.
    Thats what I mostly reload for now....Specialty loads. 25 years ago shotshell reloading was much more cost effective. A bag of shot was under $20 and powder was $10-15. Like others have mentioned its hard to break even today vs a case of the "Gun Club" ammo on sale.

But specialty loads are great. I bought my kids a 20 Ga youth single shot H&R shotgun when they were young. The shotgun is very short and light and a 12 year old can handle it well. BUT, even I don't want to shoot a standard 20 ga thru it. Kicks hard! I made some 1/2 ounce loads with very low powder charges. They didn't complain that the kick hurt as much and they could hit the clay pigeons.

Hunting loads for 6 shot is also much cheaper since they never go on sale. Also been playing with 00 Buckshot, cast from a Lee mold. Not nearly as consistent as factory loads past 50 yards but fine for playing around. Doesn't cost $1 a shot either. Its actually the cheapest thing I load since my lead for casting is free scrounged stuff.

(Adams County)

As I have found for cost of reloading, if you find someone selling unused shot, and have hulls, it can be very cost effective. Of course I haven't been able to prove the point since I still haven't gotten any powder! ARGH! oh well I have most of the stuff! Lol!

Reloading for 12 and 20 ga. is just fun. You save when you reload 16 ga., 28 ga. and .410.
    20 years USN - OSC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12