Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default likely buying my first revolver this weekend. opinions on my choice?

Hello all, this weekend I'm most likely picking up a new firearm to add to my "collection". Due to a great sale price at my lgs ($279) and some good reviews online I've chosen the Taurus 85UL.
    I've handled and fired semi autos, but never so much as laid a hand on a wheel gun. Any opinions on this as my first revolver? I've heard small revolvers are a pain to start out with, any larger frame revolvers I may have better luck with while sticking to the same price range or at least below $400?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by jsaranczak; January 14th, 2015 at 08:49 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: likely buying my first revolver this weekend. opinions on my choice?

I suggest a used S&W Model 10. You can find a lot of police trade in models ranging from $270 to $350. My Model 10 was used by the California Dept of Corrections and in single action mode it has the best trigger I ever fired...and I've shot Sigs and various 1911s. The double action trigger was very smooth too.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: likely buying my first revolver this weekend. opinions on my choice?

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I suggest a used S&W Model 10. You can find a lot of police trade in models ranging from $270 to $350. My Model 10 was used by the California Dept of Corrections and in single action mode it has the best trigger I ever fired...and I've shot Sigs and various 1911s. The double action trigger was very smooth too.

This, or a Model 64 if you like stainless.

(Montgomery County)

I've always heard to stay away from Taurus revolvers... My local gunshops all say they get a lot of Taurus guns back from customers to send in for repairs compared to smith and ruger.

I'd suggest a S&W. I'm picking up a Smith air weight .38 soon and I think they're $380ish online. Also getting a .44 mag soon but not decided yet. Maybe a smith 629 or the Ruger redhawk 4".
    -=pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames=-

(Mercer County)

I'd look for a nice, older used Smith with no lock.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Montgomery County)

+1 on the recco for a used fullsize S&W, if you can find one in your price range. Or a used Ruger Police Six or Service Six - sometimes you can find one of them floating around for $400 or a little less.

Also, for a first revolver, I'd opt for something bigger, preferably with a 4-inch barrel and not an ultralight like the Taurus 85UL. Snubbies take a lot of practice to shoot well - super-short sight radius, small grips, long trigger pull in double action, and snappy recoil (especially in ultralight models) can lead to frustration. On the plus side, those snubbies conceal real easy and are light. And once you get used to them and understand how to meet the challenges inherit in their design, they are fun to shoot and quite accurate. I have a Ruger SP101 and a Taurus 617 snubbies and love 'em both. The Ruger is my regular carry piece.

But for ease of shooting, and for learning to shoot a wheelgun well, they don't compare to full-size revolvers. Hard to beat a lightly used S&W in either K frame (Models 10, 19, 64, 65, 66, etc.), L frame (586 or 686) or N frame flavors (Models 27, 28, 29, etc.) Good luck and whatever you decide, welcome to the world of wheelguns. If you're like me, you won't stop at just one.

(Philadelphia County)

I've heard Taurus has questionable quality, but general consensus was that the 85 is one of their winners. I forgot to add, I do not plan on carrying it much at all, I mostly want it because I just want at least one revolver in my collection.
    After some more research I think I've found another revolver I'm pretty much in love with. Higher price so I may have to consider saving longer or trading something in. Ruger GP100
    I just like the overall look of it and being larger it should be easy to shoot. Also if I choose to carry it, it'll make a nice OC piece.
    What say ye on the Ruger GP100?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jsaranczak View Post
    I've heard Taurus has questionable quality, but general consensus was that the 85 is one of their winners. I forgot to add, I do not plan on carrying it much at all, I mostly want it because I just want at least one revolver in my collection.
    After some more research I think I've found another revolver I'm pretty much in love with. Higher price so I may have to consider saving longer or trading something in. Ruger GP100
    I just like the overall look of it and being larger it should be easy to shoot. Also if I choose to carry it, it'll make a nice OC piece.
    What say ye on the Ruger GP100?
    I didn't find it easier to shoot than a K-frame Smith and the trigger was decidedly inferior. But it doesn't have a Clinton lock so it beats the modern Smiths on that front.

I'd take one over a Taurus and I did like the aesthetics of the rosewood grip inserts (I'm not sure if they still make those), but I'd still take a used S&W given the choice.

(Allegheny County)

A GP100 is also a great choice. I have one as well as a Smith 67-3 and as stated, the Smith will probably have a smoother and lighter trigger (mine does) than the Ruger, but when shooting you won't really notice. Honestly, I really would recommend a Smith or the GP100 over a Taurus as far as a revolver goes.
    NRA Life member 2/6/2013

(Philadelphia County)

Yeah, I'm leaning toward trading toward the GP100. Just like better IMO. I've read the Smith's have a better trigger than the Ruger but for a higher price. Given my budget, the GP is already a stretch for me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast