Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Info Request: Hunting & Shooting Opportunities in Greentown Area (Pike County)

Greetings,

My family and I live on Long Island, NY and have just purchased a 2nd home in the Greentown area very close to Promised Land State Park and the bordering state forest area to its west. I'm looking to get back into hunting and am considering checking out the vast PA state land areas near our house. Reading through the PA state game website info, there seems to be alot of areas in my vicinity to choose from. However, I have not gotten any feedback from folks who have hunted there and have no idea what the lay of the land looks like, how the hunting is or what sort of game one can expect to encounter.

Near my new house, I've seen lots of deer, one bear and a few turkeys. I haven't had a chance to hike into the woods at all yet. What sort of game is commonly encountered around these parts? Squirrels? Grouse? Pheasants?

Also, besides the gameland ranges are there any other outdoor areas one can shoot rifles out to say at least 100 yards? Perhaps a shooting club range?

Thanks in advance.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Info Request: Hunting & Shooting Opportunities in Greentown Area (Pike County)

As indicated, deer, turkey and bear abound as well as squirrels. Small game such as rabbits and pheasant are hit and miss. You occasionally find some good spots for grouse.

This area is unique in that you also get an occasional terorrist AKA Eric Frein, so that makes for an interesting outdoor experience.

The closest PGC range is on SGL 183 off of rt 6. Checkout the "wonderful rt 6 range" thread for exciting updates.

Bear in mind you need a PA hunting license or range permit to legally shoot there. pants hanging down with exposed underwear and hats worn sideways are optional.

I have no info on local gun clubs
    Last edited by heatheroo; January 14th, 2015 at 05:52 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Info Request: Hunting & Shooting Opportunities in Greentown Area (Pike County)

I was in the area this year for opening of deer season, about 2 miles from the park. The vegetation is pretty thick up there, it was tricky to find a perch where you could see more than 50 feet or so, but I enjoyed it. There was a lot of cars there in the early am but honestly I didn't see anyone dragging out a deer the whole day, others had the same experience as me. Also, no shots anywhere near where I was.

There's the route 6 range nearby, about a half hour away is the Archbald SGL range which I frequent. Archbald has a 100 and a 200 yard rifle range as well as a pistol range.

Hope this helps
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Wayne County)

If you are looking for a public range, try Tobyhanna. It is closer then the route 6 range and much nicer. You can also check out the state park and game lands there. You are going to want to get below Newfoundland to find hunting land, Greentown is just too developed due to the lake.

(Pike County)

There's the Matamoras Gun Club. Im gonna be honest with you... I was born and raised here and go to Matamoras often and I couldnt tell you where this club is. I've heard about it for years but never seen it...

In my experience stay away from the Wonderful RT.6 Range, now they have that Permit or hunting license rule but the state put that in place for another source of revenue and it didnt drive the Psycho's out. Oh the horror stories I have seen there... (Not really horror but it makes you think how some people made it this far in life).

There's also Hunting Clubs, quite a few in Pike County. There usually expensive and theres a waiting list to get in. There's 3 right up the road from me that offer Trap/Skeet shooting, hunting land (Small & Big Game, waterfowl...) Fishing and lodging.

My 0.2...

Dont waste your money paying to hunt somewhere, We have the National Park and the SGL, so much land I'll never cover it all in my life time, Beautiful Land. The Corn fields along RT.209 offer Pheasant, Rabbit, Squirrel, Grouse... Then up on the Mountain Side you got Deer, Turkey, Bear, Squirrel.

If you see a Game Commission Officer out and about in my experience there really nice guys. Pull there ear on hunting/shooting locations. I spent a hour in Milford talking to a Game Warden at a gas station about Duck Hunting.
    Know Christ Know Peace, No Christ No Peace