Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Exclamation Smith Shields Exploding While Shooting

Did not see a discussion on here about these incidents, but wanted to start it here since I'm strongly considering buying a Shield 40. I wasn't crazy on getting a polymer frame before...but this might make me steer clear.

Apparently, there are more and more Shields that are exploding, or at least cracking on the frame during use. Has anyone here had any issues?

What do you think is the cause...a bad batch possibly, a design flaw, a certain type of ammo to avoid?

Some stories online:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...ld-kaboom.html

As a lifelong supporter and owner of Smith & Wesson firearms, I was stunned when my new Shield .40 Smith & Wesson (S&W) exploded in my hand while practicing shooting Sunday Dec. 1, 2013 at my local gun range. I included a couple of photos. I had only shot 92 rounds of a major manufacturer's 180-grain FMJ practice ammo when my brother-in-law who was shooting next to me suggested a defensive load he was shooting. I loaded 4 rounds of the different manufacturer's .40 S&W 135-grain JHP defensive load. Subsequently, I proceeded to fire the first 2 rounds slowly and then the last 2 rounds rapid fire. Upon firing the fourth round, the Shield firearm blew apart sending pieces including my Crimson Trace Laser flying in all directions and very close to my head. I was stunned as I dropped the Shield to the range bench noticing the significant damage to the firearm and realizing while my hand was in major pain with abrasions, burns, and contusions, it was intact and there were no other apparent injuries to others or me thankfully.

I have read the similar threads concerning .40 Shield kabooms and I am very concerned someone may be seriously injured. Each of the threads depicted different manufacturer's ammo. And, in my case my brother-in-law was shooting simultaneously the same defense load out of the same box as me. The only difference was he was shooting an M&P Compact while I was shooting my Shield. The M&P Compact fired approximately 70 rounds of the defense loads with no problems.

My only intention of posting here is to share my experience hopefully to prevent others from being seriously injured. Each person will draw his or her own conclusion. Many times since my Shield blew up I wanted to post this; but I decided to wait until the firearm and ammo were comprehensively evaluated. And, I saw the ongoing thread of another .40 Shield kaboom.

With the exception of approximately 10 rounds held for potential future testing as necessary, the rounds remaining in the box and another full box from the same lot were tested and determined to be within SAAMI specifications.

While I don’t want to dwell on the frustration of the difficult protracted process of trying to get S&W to examine my Shield, it has been exasperating. After shipping the Shield via FedEx and 2 months after S&W logged it in, I just received a letter from them that appears to be the same or similar to letters received by the other Shield kaboom owner’s. I may include a photo of the letter later. For now, here is an excerpt: “We have recently reviewed a Smith & Wesson M – 40 Shield pistol, Serial Number HPJxxxx. After a thorough review, we have determined that the damage to this weapon was not the result of a defect in the materials or workmanship of the weapon.” They then offered to sell me a new Shield for $334 “since they value me as a customer.”

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...blow-up-3.html

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...-problems.html

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...40-mishap.html

Other discussions online:

http://rugerforum.net/range-reports/...-shooting.html

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1519781

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/f...-shooting.html

http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/m-p-sh...ooting.251941/
    Last edited by alpacaheat; January 14th, 2015 at 12:29 PM.

Default Re: Smith Shields Exploding While Shooting

I just bought a 9mm shield, only one round through it so far. Is this what I have to look forward to, or is it just 40s?

(York County)

Many have noticed that just about all the complaints (on numerous boards) have been started (and posted) by the same person? So, before everyone who owns a Shield panics...
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 17th, 1790)
    Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office!
    ..: TO SERVE AND PROTECT! Positive Stories :..

Quote Originally Posted by S&WOwner View Post
    Many have noticed that just about all the complaints (on numerous boards) have been started (and posted) by the same person? So, before everyone who owns a Shield panics...
    There have been multiple occurrences though, so even if rare, it's still not entirely an isolated incident. But, this is why I'm asking...to find out if it's safe to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I just bought a 9mm shield, only one round through it so far. Is this what I have to look forward to, or is it just 40s?
    Bogey, seems to be mainly 40s, not 9mm. There have been a lot of bulging cases in 9mm Shields but they all seem to be when using +p loads which S&W recommends you DO NOT USE in Shields. So regular pressure loads you should be fine.
    Last edited by alpacaheat; January 14th, 2015 at 01:07 PM.

(Bucks County)

Gasses going downward has to be failure of the cartridge case to seal the chamber or head separation due to unsupported cartridge which might be from a cartridge fired when the slide or bolt is out of battery.

The letter indicating they find no defects in the pistol strongly implies that the fault is with the cartridge, almost an accusation that a badly assembled hand load or reload is to blame, which I presume is noted as a no-no in the owner's handbook which most manufacturers do.

Not being in pain and with luxury of armchair hindsight, it might be a good program to get hold of the cartridge case that was chambered during the event, in anticipation of that argument.

Since the pistol manufacturer is by innuendo stating the cartridge was at fault, it may be interesting to ask the cartridge company to replace the firearm and see what response that results in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Gasses going downward has to be failure of the cartridge case to seal the chamber or head separation due to unsupported cartridge which might be from a cartridge fired when the slide or bolt is out of battery.

The letter indicating they find no defects in the pistol strongly implies that the fault is with the cartridge, almost an accusation that a badly assembled hand load or reload is to blame, which I presume is noted as a no-no in the owner's handbook which most manufacturers do.

Not being in pain and with luxury of armchair hindsight, it might be a good program to get hold of the cartridge case that was chambered during the event, in anticipation of that argument.

Since the pistol manufacturer is by innuendo stating the cartridge was at fault, it may be interesting to ask the cartridge company to replace the firearm and see what response that results in.
    Factory loads in most documented cases.

Well this is my first post on here and it is not due to a pleasant experience. I bought my shield a few months ago after doing a lot of research and shooting myself. I decided on the shield out of several other guns for a number of reasons. Made in the USA always appeals to me, plus i still have my great grandfathers revolver that is wonderful. So anyway i decided to get the shield. I put about 4-500 rounds through it without a single problem and was extremely pleased and even told several others to buy the gun.

Here is where things went sour. Me and a few buddies went to target practice and i was bragging about the accuracy of this gun, put a magazine in and proceeded to fire, when all of a sudden it felt like my gun blew up in my hand, something hit my face and left a few cuts, my hand was hurting but had all of my fingers, checked myself out and was ok other than the blood running down my face. Checked the gun and the round was stuck, so i pulled it out and noticed the big hole in the brass of the Winchester ammo, the gun looked to be ok, so after a break and taking care of the cuts i tried to shoot the gun again. This time it would not fire, almost like the striker was not hitting like it is supposed to, tried again and it fired two rounds, and then the same thing. Well i knew something was definitely wrong and looked a little close at the gun, that is when i noticed that the frame was cracked, wow what a bummer.

So i called Smith & Wesson up, told them what happened and they said- ok send it back and we will take care of it. So i sent it back in february 2014 and just received it back last week. I was excited to get the gun back only to find a piece of paper stating that there was nothing wrong with the gun. Are you kidding me, the freaking frame is cracked and is not shootable. It also states that it was test fired and had no problems. While this gun would shoot sometimes there is no way they shot the gun several times. I cannot believe how this has been handled. It is one thing to have a gun blow up but its another to have a company say there is nothing wrong with it when the frame is cracked. The inspection process had to be a joke to not catch this. So here i am again without a messed up gun that i bought to protect myself. I called back today and after three calls i finally got through and told them what happened. All i got in response was useless answers and a "send it back again". So here i go again going to be without my gun for another almost two months. This will probably be the last Smith & Wesson that i will ever buy unless they make this right. Oh and not only did i get the same gun back, they also managed to put a big scratch on the gun, wow this is not what i expected and am very dissatisfied, disgusted, angry, and several other emotions right now. I will post picks as soon as i can.

shoulda bought a hi-point.
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you

Over 1500 rounds of 9mm all various brands including 3-400 124gr +P 9mm and not a single failure in anyway and my hands are still connected to my wrists. I have a hard time believing an American gun manufacture would leave themselves open to a HUGE lawsuit if they know they have a major defect in a product that could lead to terriable injury or death.
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 14th, 2015 at 05:23 PM.

Chinese brass?

(Lackawanna County)

Boy thats an impressive kaboom. The pistol is destroyed.

I cant imagine it being S&W's fault. The culprit is most likely hot or overloaded .40, I think that is much more probable.
    neckbeard extrordinaire

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast