Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Smith Shields Exploding While Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Appears to me the shield just doesn't stand up to .40 S&W. Frames are cracking without kabooming?? There's your sign.
    The full-size M&P 40s are holding up and performing fine, so maybe they've pushed and found the limit of how small and light of a frame you can get away with for 40 S&W.

It's a shame because this gun is so slim and concealable...probably the best carry 40 out there in terms of size.

Quote Originally Posted by DoverDad View Post
    Perhaps many owners aren't aware of the recommendation against +p ammo in Shields.

I'm still planning on trying one out before deciding to buy. Held one in a LGS and loved the feel of it...need to get somewhere to shoot one.

Just wanted to see if any Poofers had any bad experience or knew more info.

Still...makes me go back to my gut feeling of wanting a metal frame over plastic....never loved the idea of the polymers. In 20 years...will it weaken and blow up? A steel or alloy-framed Smith won't. I like to keep recoil down anyway.

Where is this recommendation because it's not in the users manual? As a matter of fact they state that the use of +P ammunition can cause more wear and require more maintenance due to the higher pressures but there is no warning against using it. Smith recommends using any commercial load that is following SAAMI specifications in their loading process which all +P does.

It does outright state that +p+ is not to be used in any Smith & Wesson pistol.

Pages 9, 10 and 11.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...07-10-2014.pdf

This is stated exactly the same in all other M&P Pistol manuals as well.

Quote Originally Posted by crnkit View Post
    If your willing to spend more for a quality gun, then buy a Sig or an HK. Problem Solved!

Yeah cause Sig's and HK's never break.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDonJohnson View Post
    Boy thats an impressive kaboom. The pistol is destroyed.

I cant imagine it being S&W's fault. The culprit is most likely hot or overloaded .40, I think that is much more probable.
    40S&W is a hot, high pressure, stupid/poorly concieved, 'tits-on-a-bull' round concocted by the Good Idea Fairy that doesn't deliver enough over a 9mm to offset the the potential of a catastrophic failure and decreased capacity. It's like a Chevy Avalanche/Exploder Sport Trac.

The only plausible reason I could see for actively seeking one out is for scoring power factor.

This doesn't surprise me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    40S&W is a hot, high pressure, stupid/poorly concieved, 'tits-on-a-bull' round concocted by the Good Idea Fairy that doesn't deliver enough over a 9mm to offset the the potential of a catastrophic failure and decreased capacity. It's like a Chevy Avalanche/Exploder Sport Trac.

The only plausible reason I could see for actively seeking one out is for scoring power factor.

This doesn't surprise me.
    It was in response to FBI chicks and weaklings who couldn't master the 10mm.

(Bucks County)

When was the last documented failure?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I have done a lot of searches on this. Seems most kabooms are 40 cal. The 40s&w is very sensitive to bullet set back. It raises the chamber pressure to proof load levels and beyond. Don't cycle ammo through the gun several times. Each clambering sets the bullet back alittle more. Striker guns have more leeway in the area of lock/unlock and still fire, not a good thing added to the set back issue. 40s should probibly be made bigger, more beefy in the lock up and chamber then they are.
    THIS^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    When was the last documented failure?

I read through all of the links and most of them are just the same stories taken from the original source and reposed on other sites. The initial post starts off the same way in each one made in early Jan 2014.

It looks there were a total of 4 documented cases and all 4 pistols were in the same SN range. On another note one member on the S&W forum admitted to destroying his G27 with his own reloads due to the set back on the .40 cartridge as explained earlier in the thread.

Bad batches of cheap commercial ammo?
    Maybe but most likely not.

Inexperienced re loaders using cheap or worn out components saying they used commercial ammo in order to get a factory replacement?
    very good possibility.

Bad batch of .40cal Shields rolled off the line missing the proper QC ? Good Possibility.

I would be interested to see any newer cases of this within the last 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    It was in response to FBI chicks and weaklings who couldn't master the 10mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Bradford County)

I carry the Shield exclusively. I have 2 of the 9mm and one of the 40's. I have fired all three guns extensively and have not had any problems. That being said, the no safety 9 is my carry of choice so it gets shot the most. The 40 has been shelved for almost a year. I only shoot factory ammo and it is always a combination of what is available. I know for a fact I have run large amounts of Winchester, Fiochi, CCI Blazer Brass, Federal, Tulammo brass and Hornady Critical Defense through all three with the biggest problem being the paint in the front sight falling out of one of the guns. I really hope that the exploding problem is an isolated one but I now intend to get all three out to the range this weekend and run them through their paces, just to be on the safe side.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast