Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Smith Shields Exploding While Shooting

That hole in the brass seems to conform to the ramp area where some non-supported section might occur. Years gone by, kitchen table gunsmiths (same degree I possess) found out the hard way when they reshaped and polished the ramp on a 1911. It's for that reason I fashioned a layer of steel behind the grips on my 1911...just in case a blow-down occurs.

If it is impossible for the Shield to fire out of battery, and if the cartridge is well or completely supported, I'd suspect a timing issue...especially if it occurred during rapid fire. It may be an issue difficult to duplicate deliberately, like the car won't miss for the mechanic.

Cracked frame sounds like design, construction and materials used in manufacturing the pistol. Maybe the frame cracks first, and a subsequent firing open things up, destroying timing and exposing the brass during high pressure.

If it is ammunition, wouldn't there be far more reports on it than those posted re the pistol?

(Chester County)

^^^^This.

Bang, completely agree with you on everything.

It is likely not one individual issue, but more likely a series of small issues compounded to create a catastrophic failure.

Nonetheless, it can be understood how a crack like those shown (behind the trigger on the frame) can be missed if not carefully and purposefully inspected before every shot.

Good idea on the steel plates around the grip, Bang. Can never be too safe.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Centre County)

I wish (in the same vein as taxes) that companies would just raise their prices instead of lowering their quality. Shield was my next choice, but maybe not if this is a trend.
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDonJohnson View Post
    Boy thats an impressive kaboom. The pistol is destroyed.

I cant imagine it being S&W's fault. The culprit is most likely hot or overloaded .40, I think that is much more probable.
    Perhaps many owners aren't aware of the recommendation against +p ammo in Shields.

I'm still planning on trying one out before deciding to buy. Held one in a LGS and loved the feel of it...need to get somewhere to shoot one.

Just wanted to see if any Poofers had any bad experience or knew more info.

Still...makes me go back to my gut feeling of wanting a metal frame over plastic....never loved the idea of the polymers. In 20 years...will it weaken and blow up? A steel or alloy-framed Smith won't. I like to keep recoil down anyway.
    Last edited by alpacaheat; January 14th, 2015 at 04:13 PM.

(Luzerne County)

I passed on a used .40 Shield I saw at a LGS for $310 and instead bought a new Shield 9mm. First gun purchase of the new year. Took it out and put about 150 trouble free WWB rounds thru it and another magazine of Hornady Critical Defense, without any issues at all. It is now in the carry rotation. Couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Pistol is as flat as my XD-s .45, and is a relatively soft shooter. I sold a ruger SR9c to finance this purchase, since I found the Ruger to be a little larger than what I prefer to carry.

(Berks County)

I have done a lot of searches on this. Seems most kabooms are 40 cal. The 40s&w is very sensitive to bullet set back. It raises the chamber pressure to proof load levels and beyond. Don't cycle ammo through the gun several times. Each clambering sets the bullet back alittle more. Striker guns have more leeway in the area of lock/unlock and still fire, not a good thing added to the set back issue. 40s should probibly be made bigger, more beefy in the lock up and chamber then they are.

(Bucks County)

I have a 9mm. No issues shooting about 500 rounds. Loads have varied but all factory new brass.

(Bucks County)

Maybe we need more websites with members shooting through chronys which might shed light on just how consistent these factory rounds are.

I'd think the factories would be doing that. Aren't manufacturers doing sample inspections anymore? Wonder what their tolerances are if they are keeping an eye on things.

Appears to me the shield just doesn't stand up to .40 S&W. Frames are cracking without kabooming?? There's your sign.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by StingyGunner View Post
    I wish (in the same vein as taxes) that companies would just raise their prices instead of lowering their quality. Shield was my next choice, but maybe not if this is a trend.
    If your willing to spend more for a quality gun, then buy a Sig or an HK. Problem Solved!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast