Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default IWB HOLSTER Queston

I have a quick question about clips for inside the waistband holsters- The holster I'm looking at has two options one is the standard over the belt clip. The other is a hidden clip - it goes over the waistband of the pants but BEHIND the belt and has a turned up lip at the bottom of the clip to grip the belt from the bottom so the holster stays put when you draw your gun .

I'm leaning towards the hidden clip, but wanted to hear about any issues people have experienced with them.

The holster in question is a Vega model IU332 suede iwb.

Thanks!

(Somerset County)

Default Re: IWB HOLSTER Queston

They work if that is what you're asking. I carry 75% of the time like this & have had no issues.

(Chester County)

If you noticed, there is no support around the top to prevent the opening from closing when you unholster the weapon. Difficulty in reholstering.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ideaman View Post
    If you noticed, there is no support around the top to prevent the opening from closing when you unholster the weapon. Difficulty in reholstering.
    This.

Suede is a very soft material, so while it may be comfy while wearing, holstering would be difficult as the holster would probably collapse when the gun is removed. You want something that has a reinforced opening.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by hb2u View Post
    I have a quick question about clips for inside the waistband holsters- The holster I'm looking at has two options one is the standard over the belt clip. The other is a hidden clip - it goes over the waistband of the pants but BEHIND the belt and has a turned up lip at the bottom of the clip to grip the belt from the bottom so the holster stays put when you draw your gun .

I'm leaning towards the hidden clip, but wanted to hear about any issues people have experienced with them.

The holster in question is a Vega model IU332 suede iwb.

Thanks!
    The regular clip allows your belt to absorb and support the weight of the gun while the hidden J style clips put the weight of the gun on your pants.
    SEMPER GUMBY

(Luzerne County)

Have you looked at the n82 tactical holster? I'm using the professional model with a Glock 29 with good results. The holster keeps the firearm off your skin, it's easy to tuck your shirt in and around the belt clip.The firearm re-holsters easy. It's been comfortable to wear all day.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    The regular clip allows your belt to absorb and support the weight of the gun while the hidden J style clips put the weight of the gun on your pants.
    I have never owned one of the hidden clips, but judging on how they look, it appears to me they can become unsupported from the belt and be left hanging on the waistband of your pants. I prefer a clip that solidly, and posititively locks onto the belt and allows the belt to do the job it was intended to do: carry the weight of the gun.

I have mitigated the shiny glare of black metal clips by attaching a piece of shrink tube over the clip. It does not draw the eye to the clip anymore. I have not yet had one person ask about "that shiny clip thingie" on my belt in over 30 years, even before the shrink tube. It would be rare indeed if anybody noticed. I'd opt for the better support.

(Northumberland County)

Two things, first suede absorbs everything. Second, this comes from High Noon Holsters. I've never owned the J-hook but I have several of their holsters and believe they make a real good product so I trust their advice.

" We have tested the J hook. We HATE IT. This goes for the newer version also, a three point that attaches to the top and bottom of the belt, which addresses the original J hooks short comings.

PROS
    Yes, it does provide more concealment because there is less to show. But that's all it does!!!!

CONS
    In our tests, 9 out of 10 times during the course of a 10 hour day, the J hook slipped under the belt without us even knowing. The difference between the J hook and ours is a trade off in stability vs. slightly more concealment. What do you need most? Our clip we use creates a very stable method for carrying your Inside the Waistband holster. The clip helps keep the holster secure to the belt without very much movement. It also provides the greatest amount of stability when drawing and re-holstering your firearm. The J hook does not, you will pull your gun and the holster will come out with it because it slipped under your belt. Gravity is pulling the gun and holster down, most J hooks there is only 1/8 of an inch of material showing. Bend and move a little and its detached.

You make the choice, do you want to know for sure only the gun is coming out and going back in, or do you want to go for more concealment and in the gravest extreme when you need that gun to defend your life, not really know if its coming out with the holster because the clip slipped under the belt. All you are betting is your life when the gun is drawn. Just look at the two designs, you can figure it out yourself without even wearing it. Click here for pictures. Also our black clip against a black belt DISAPPEARS. You can barely notice it. Also, almost everyone these days has either a cell phone or pager attached to their belt. Click here for some pictures that will help disguise the clip."

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mirage View Post
    Have you looked at the n82 tactical holster? I'm using the professional model with a Glock 29 with good results. The holster keeps the firearm off your skin, it's easy to tuck your shirt in and around the belt clip.The firearm re-holsters easy. It's been comfortable to wear all day.
    N82 Tactical is a great holster, I use it for my XDS45. The retention is great and is excellent to use when im on my motorcycle
    SEMPER GUMBY

(Monroe County)

I'm still experimenting with clips..

Right now I'm using the "J" type clips on my FoxX Hybrid because they are easier to take off.. I'm using a Wilderness Instructor's Belt...

Don't really care about seeing the black clips on a black belt.. You can't really see them anyhow..

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast