Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default Need help-Call Police, ha ha

Where I live is serviced by PSP, the closest station is 40 miles away at Mill Hall, I've been here 3 years and live right on sr 120 and have seen a troop car twice in 3 years if you could get a cop here in an hour it would just be good luck!

Before retiring in 96 I was a cop in Camden,NJ for 25 years and went on many shootng calls that were 40 minutes old when dispatched because of the work load if you are in trouble you must be prepaired to defend yourself or have close neighbors who are young and like you.

I usually carry a khar 9mm and pepper spray cause most young men can beat me and I may need something less than deadly force. Fortunatly my reflexes are still qute good and my marksmanship is still very good.
    Last edited by Montell C. Williams; July 8th, 2008 at 06:43 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: Need help-Call Police, ha ha

Montell, I have seen this posted several times: "When Seconds Count, The
    Cops Are Minutes Away". It rings true, no matter where you live.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Centre County)

Mill Hall!!?!? WTF!? Why don't they dispatch 'em out of Emporium? Is it because you're still in Clinton Co?

(Columbia County)

So is what you're saying is that we should vote to get rid of the State Police because you think they're useless or maybe that the next time we elect a governor or some other high ended official we should think twice? I too live about 30 miles from the State Police, and if they can't get here soon enough I'm not going to blame the police, I'm going to blame elected officials for being blind to the needs of rural folks. This police bashing and "ha ha" ing does nothing but create animosity for the guys who put their lives on the line every day, somewhere.

(Indiana County)

There's no police bashing, or PSP bashing - OP was just stating reality.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is a big, big state, and there's only so many state troopers to cover just about all of it.

As I stated on another posting, PSP has already told one community in my county if there's no body or blood involved, they're not showing up. Living at the fringe of their coverage area does affect their response time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhands View Post
    So is what you're saying is that we should vote to get rid of the State Police because you think they're useless or maybe that the next time we elect a governor or some other high ended official we should think twice? I too live about 30 miles from the State Police, and if they can't get here soon enough I'm not going to blame the police, I'm going to blame elected officials for being blind to the needs of rural folks. This police bashing and "ha ha" ing does nothing but create animosity for the guys who put their lives on the line every day, somewhere.
    Quite the contrary. I did not read the OP as bashing at all, rather as an observation from a person more accustom to an urban environment now living in a more rural one. The man said he was retired LEO can't see him "bashing" the police.

My situation is similar, a neighbor came home to a ransacked house and called 911 the PSP were dispatched and 55 min later the trooper was calling her for directions to her house. I attribute this to to few troopers covering to large a territory. Most PSP barracks are responsible for the entire county. My hat is off to those guys, they do the best they can, it is not their fault their undermanned most of the time and have 100's of square miles to cover.

I do agree with you that it seems the plight of those choosing to live in a more rural area often seems to get glossed over by the people in positions to do something about it. After all we all know our tax dollars are hard at work in the bigger cities.

Jack

(Columbia County)

You're right, and I apologize for making the assumption that M.C Williams was indeed "bashing"... I guess I am a bit sensitive because of all the bashing that does go on within gun type forums. I think you might agree that it seems to be happening more often lately. Mr. Williams, I am sorry for assuming that your post was "anti" in any way. Hopefully things will change for the better as far as response time and attitudes towards the guys/gals that put themselves between us and the bad guys.

(Susquehanna County)

The only way things change is to add more Troopers as it stands now the response time depends on where in the county the Trooper is and what he's doing IE taking care of an accident etc. As I've posted before the average response time in my area is 2 to 2 1/2 hours. And the town police will not response their limited to the areas then can response to. Neighbor was beating his wife PSP Called at 8:30 PM PSP showed up at 11:45 PM

(Clinton County)

I wasn't bashing anyone, as I stated I've been dispatched to shootings that were 40 minutes old, and that was in the city where drive time is usually less than 5 minutes. Many many shifts you go the entire night with no coffee or lunch break, unless you sit on a job and steal the break,we used to average 8 to 12 radio jobs each 8 hour shift for each car.

(Carbon County)

Dont complain though...taxes will go up to hire more :-) also Look on the bright side...not a snowballs chance of ever getting a speeding ticket!
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast