Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: S&W M438 & M638

(Chester County)

Default S&W M438 & M638

I'm thinking about picking up a S&W M438 or M638 as a back up or to "throw in my pocket" when I have to run out to the food store at the last minute to get something or go pick up a pizza for dinner. Anybody have any positive or negative things to say about this handgun? Below I posted a pic of each revolver so people know which revolvers I am talking about. Also I want to specifically talk about these revolvers. I do not want a shield/LC9 variant/Baby Glock/etc. Thank you!

M438

M638

(Northampton County)

Default Re: S&W M438 & M638

J frame airweights have been around forever. They fulfill the pocket carry mission very well.

(Pike County)

What ever you get, carry it in a pocket holster. It's much safer than just putting it in your pocket. I use a Mika pocket holster. Inexpensive and it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by indiandave View Post
    What ever you get, carry it in a pocket holster. It's much safer than just putting it in your pocket. I use a Mika pocket holster. Inexpensive and it works well.
    Desantis also makes a pocket holster. It has little rubber grippies on it so the holster stays in your pocket when you draw. I think it is about $15. I bought a 360SC recently (.357 J frame airweight), and have been carrying it in a galco ankle glove. Definitely something you have to get used to, but IMO it is a better place to carry it. YMMV

(Chester County)

Sorry, should have added that I would be using a pocket holster when I carry it in my pocket. I'll most likely just use a desantis nemesis.

(Philadelphia County)

You can never go wrong with a J frame Smith. They work. Not ammo picky, no FTF, no mags to lose. Ammo is relatively cheap for practice, plenty of SD offerings.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges