Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Huntingdon County)

Default Newbie with AR question

Hey all, I was on PAFOA a long time ago, so long in fact I can't remember my old log in name. Anyhow, if I were to take my son deer hunting this year (9 years old) and I took my AR .223, no magazine and a pocket of shells, would it be considered legal to insert one round in the chamber, no magazine and let him hunt with it, Beside me in a blind?

I am curious because he has a 30-30 Marlin that I want to give him, but he is too short to shoulder it yet. I figured with a scope, a collapsing stock and light recoil, he'd be good to go with the AR in the single shot mode.

I looked through the game commision, and this forum a bit and couldn't find any info. Thanks

Default Re: Newbie with AR question

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead81 View Post
    Hey all, I was on PAFOA a long time ago, so long in fact I can't remember my old log in name. Anyhow, if I were to take my son deer hunting this year (9 years old) and I took my AR .223, no magazine and a pocket of shells, would it be considered legal to insert one round in the chamber, no magazine and let him hunt with it, Beside me in a blind?

I am curious because he has a 30-30 Marlin that I want to give him, but he is too short to shoulder it yet. I figured with a scope, a collapsing stock and light recoil, he'd be good to go with the AR in the single shot mode.

I looked through the game commision, and this forum a bit and couldn't find any info. Thanks
    from the manual:

Firearms Deer Seasons: 1) Manually operated centerfire rifles, handguns
    and shotguns with all-lead bullet or ball, or a bullet designed
    to expand on impact; 2) muzzleloading long guns of any type, 44
    caliber or larger, or a muzzleloading handgun 50 caliber or larger;
    and 3) long, recurve or compound and crossbows with broadheads of
    cutting-edge design. Buckshot is illegal, except in Southeast Special
    Regulations Area.

if it were me i would not give them a reason to write me a ticket
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Huntingdon County)

I read that too, Gummy. But I think what I am getting at is, if I am using it with one shell, no mags on me, or in the truck, isn't the magless AR simply a single shot, manually operated rifle?

I'm not being a jerk or anything, I'm just trying to figure out if that would make it acceptable to the GC.

Thanks for the reply.

Mike

I read that too, Gummy. But I think what I am getting at is, if I am using it with one shell, no mags on me, or in the truck, isn't the magless AR simply a single shot, manually operated rifle?

I'm not being a jerk or anything, I'm just trying to figure out if that would make it acceptable to the GC.

Thanks for the reply.

Mike
    i totally get your point and agree with you and your intentions. but by the letter of the law, your gun is designed to be semi auto even if you are manually operating it. it is hard for me to imagine it going well for you if you were to get caught.

move down here to wv, load 30 rds in your mag and hunt with me!
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Huntingdon County)

Gummy, Great point, and thanks. I really don't want to have any issues, just looking for a way to get around saving a few bucks, which is counterproductive if I run afoul of the game wardens. I guess I could get him one of those single shot deals in .223 or .243 for less than $200.

I agree, you WV boys got it made. I work with a guy who is from WV and he tells me all the wonderful things you all get to enjoy down there. I appreciate the help, Thanks again.

Mike

(Lycoming County)

From what has been said here before the rifle has to be made inoperable as a semi-auto. It has to be something that is not easily changed in the field as well. I don't think just carrying it without a mag would do the trick. This has been debated numerous times on here and one thing I garnered from those discussions is that it has to be modified in some way that it can't be fired any other way than single shot.

(Huntingdon County)

Thanks RL, yeah, I saw a thread on here about rendering the gas tube inoperable but I don't want to go that far. Thanks,

Mike

(Lycoming County)

Gummy, Great point, and thanks. I really don't want to have any issues, just looking for a way to get around saving a few bucks, which is counterproductive if I run afoul of the game wardens. I guess I could get him one of those single shot deals in .223 or .243 for less than $200.

I agree, you WV boys got it made. I work with a guy who is from WV and he tells me all the wonderful things you all get to enjoy down there. I appreciate the help, Thanks again.

Mike
    H&R Single shot with a youth stock wouldn't run very much. If you can find one used then even better. It would probably be cheaper than any fine or the cost of fighting it in court.

(Bucks County)

This is (I find) damned interesting. Let's say the magazine is 123.4 miles away, at home. That certainly makes it a single-shot and not easily converted back to multi-shots in the field. However, the magazine could have been pitched upon WCOs approach, so the scenario could be reversed....easily converted into a single-shot in the field. Probably a good argument that a permanent conversion or a "not easily converted in the field" configuration would not include a missing magazine.

In which case, the ticket could be issued based upon the self-evident fact that the rifle is indeed a semi-automatic rifle. I fear the more the PGC gets hit with these proposed uses of semi-auto, the more likely they will add "in any configuration or design" to the prohibition.

Suggestion: buy an aftermarket butt stock for the Marlin and cut it down to youth length. They come off easily.
    Last edited by Bang; January 12th, 2015 at 02:57 PM.

(Huntingdon County)

Thanks Gents, I appreciate the feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast