Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Berks County)

Default 4" Redhawk 44 Mag

Anyone have comments on a 4"' Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag with Hogue grips? And what is a fair value of an excellent condition used one? I've been offered one as a trade for another item valued at about $650.

Always thought I wanted a double action 44 mag and this offer comes along. Thanks.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: 4" Redhawk 44 Mag

Sounds fair. The only better thing would be a 45LC.

(Dauphin County)

I have one that I picked up a few months ago, to use as a trail gun, and for a hiking trip in Glacier and Yellowstone. It was used when I bought it, but the serial number shows 2014 manufacturing, and if it was shot, it was only a few cylinders worth through it.

So far, I have put 150 rounds through it, all 300 grain hard cast lead or semi-jacketed soft points, as I intend to carry 300 grain bullets out west. The recoil with those heavy bullets is stout, but quite manageable. I haven't shot any lighter bullets yet, but probably will once the western trip is over. The Hogue grip is comfortable and fills the hand nicely, allowing a good grip, but still, I wouldn't want to shoot more that 25-30 rounds per range session, at least with the loads I have been shooting. Starts to hurt the hand after a few cylinders.

I am just getting used to it, but the accuracy seems very good. On my last trip with it to the range, I put 6 rounds into a 1" group at 7 yards, in single action. Then another cylinder full in double action, and the group only opened up to about 2". I was quite impressed. The sights are nice, although the red insert in the front sight is not fiber-optic, just a plastic insert, so it is not bright.

I searched for a few weeks before I found the one I bought. Most that I saw used were selling for around the $650-700 mark. I found mine at Cabelas for $699, but with some coupons and rebates, and Cabelas bucks, I got it significantly cheaper than that. If you feel the value of what you are trading is not more than $650, I would say it is a fair trade, depending on the condition. I will say that you can't go wrong in getting one, they are a blast too shoot, will hold up to anything you can throw at it, and are darn good-looking revolvers.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Berks County)

^Just the kind of info I'm looking for. Thanks.

A new 4" Redhawk .44 mag is only about $100 more, so it you haven't done the trade, yet, I'd make sure the one you're trading for is this side of brand new.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    A new 4" Redhawk .44 mag is only about $100 more, so it you haven't done the trade, yet, I'd make sure the one you're trading for is this side of brand new.
    Understood. $728 is the cheapest I've found for new shipped. Then $20 for FFL fee. The other party is willing to throw in $75 and cover 1/2 the transfer fee. So if the Redhawk has a fair market value of $600-$625 and is in excellent condition, I'd feel OK about that.

(Dauphin County)

esh21167, here is a link with the Ruger serial number/year of manufacture info. Thought that might be helpful to you.

http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html#

Click on "show all" on the revolver line, then scroll down and click "Redhawk".
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.