Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default 4" Redhawk 44 Mag

Anyone have comments on a 4"' Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag with Hogue grips? And what is a fair value of an excellent condition used one? I've been offered one as a trade for another item valued at about $650.

Always thought I wanted a double action 44 mag and this offer comes along. Thanks.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: 4" Redhawk 44 Mag

Sounds fair. The only better thing would be a 45LC.

(Dauphin County)

I have one that I picked up a few months ago, to use as a trail gun, and for a hiking trip in Glacier and Yellowstone. It was used when I bought it, but the serial number shows 2014 manufacturing, and if it was shot, it was only a few cylinders worth through it.

So far, I have put 150 rounds through it, all 300 grain hard cast lead or semi-jacketed soft points, as I intend to carry 300 grain bullets out west. The recoil with those heavy bullets is stout, but quite manageable. I haven't shot any lighter bullets yet, but probably will once the western trip is over. The Hogue grip is comfortable and fills the hand nicely, allowing a good grip, but still, I wouldn't want to shoot more that 25-30 rounds per range session, at least with the loads I have been shooting. Starts to hurt the hand after a few cylinders.

I am just getting used to it, but the accuracy seems very good. On my last trip with it to the range, I put 6 rounds into a 1" group at 7 yards, in single action. Then another cylinder full in double action, and the group only opened up to about 2". I was quite impressed. The sights are nice, although the red insert in the front sight is not fiber-optic, just a plastic insert, so it is not bright.

I searched for a few weeks before I found the one I bought. Most that I saw used were selling for around the $650-700 mark. I found mine at Cabelas for $699, but with some coupons and rebates, and Cabelas bucks, I got it significantly cheaper than that. If you feel the value of what you are trading is not more than $650, I would say it is a fair trade, depending on the condition. I will say that you can't go wrong in getting one, they are a blast too shoot, will hold up to anything you can throw at it, and are darn good-looking revolvers.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Berks County)

^Just the kind of info I'm looking for. Thanks.

A new 4" Redhawk .44 mag is only about $100 more, so it you haven't done the trade, yet, I'd make sure the one you're trading for is this side of brand new.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    A new 4" Redhawk .44 mag is only about $100 more, so it you haven't done the trade, yet, I'd make sure the one you're trading for is this side of brand new.
    Understood. $728 is the cheapest I've found for new shipped. Then $20 for FFL fee. The other party is willing to throw in $75 and cover 1/2 the transfer fee. So if the Redhawk has a fair market value of $600-$625 and is in excellent condition, I'd feel OK about that.

(Dauphin County)

esh21167, here is a link with the Ruger serial number/year of manufacture info. Thought that might be helpful to you.

http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html#

Click on "show all" on the revolver line, then scroll down and click "Redhawk".
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    esh21167, here is a link with the Ruger serial number/year of manufacture info. Thought that might be helpful to you.

http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html#

Click on "show all" on the revolver line, then scroll down and click "Redhawk".
    That's very helpful. Thanks!