Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wink Re: How much pressure should be required to operate a press?

[QUOTE=Bang;2951580]Sum Ting Wrong ... .38 is a little longer than 9mm but it's a straight-walled case and should go easily...especially using carbide dies (are you?) Are you lubing the cases too much? You could be inducing a hydraulic resistance. BTW, carbide dies require no lube.

Second thought... what are you firing the .38s in? You may have oversized chambers in which case the shell will be a bit harder to resize.[/QUOTE
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Yup..Wi Too Tite the copilot sez sum ting wong.

I load .38/.357 cases alot and the pressure needed is small..generally about the same as 9mm. I use carbide dies from RCBS in my old Dillon 550 for .38/.357 ..and a "undersize die" (also carbide) for 9mm.

Are you getting some crushed cases? Are there spent primers clogging the primer feed track? Are you using really dirty cases? IS THE DIE DOWN TOO FAR? The straight-walled cases should be a snap. Just sayin.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: How much pressure should be required to operate a press?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
    Are you getting some crushed cases? Are there spent primers clogging the primer feed track? Are you using really dirty cases? IS THE DIE DOWN TOO FAR? The straight-walled cases should be a snap. Just sayin.
    Crushed Cases - I got a few and quickly deduced the flare was too much since it happened at the seating die (I ran it through there with no bullet. I think the flare die was too loose and it started seating it deeper than when I set it up.

Clogged Primer - I was until I realized that the yellow tip was not pushed in all the way.

Case cleanliness - using very clean, tumbled cases.

The only thing that I am still wondering about is that the crimp die still feels like it is operating in "2 stages". It has resistance, then it loosens up then it has resistance again.

The cases look OK to me. Maybe IU can post a picture later. I am at work now
    Last edited by Don Quixote; January 12th, 2015 at 10:29 AM.

(Montgomery County)

If you are using the lee Factory crimp die.. That is "normal"

The die has a sizing ring on the bottom. Depending on the bullet type you are using, that ring will resize the bullet, or in what you are feeling, it pops over the bullet.. then the case feeds up to the crimp ring and gets crimped.. Then you lower the ram and the bullet gets to that sizing ring again and pops out.

People have complained about the Lee Factory crimps adding more resistance to the press. It is a trade off depending on what you are trying to do and how bad it is. It is different with different calibers.

I actually have my Factory Crimp die in station 1 to resize any bulged (glocked) brass. But all my brass is sometimes alrdy deprimed before I use this setup. (EGW undersized dies are basically lee crimp dies with a decapping pin)

Basically to fix this you would need to get a different type/manufacturer of crimp die. Even lubing the cases won't resolve the issue. You don't have to lube with carbide dies, but it will smooth things out even more. Just depending on your firearms and the lube you use. You might need/want to tumble the rounds to remove the lube.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    If you are using the lee Factory crimp die.. That is "normal"

Basically to fix this you would need to get a different type/manufacturer of crimp die. Even lubing the cases won't resolve the issue. You don't have to lube with carbide dies, but it will smooth things out even more. Just depending on your firearms and the lube you use. You might need/want to tumble the rounds to remove the lube.
    GREAT. Thanks. Now I think I am good to go on this new set up.

I am not worried about "fixing it" if it's not broken. The rounds look good, (Have not shot them yet) and it's not difficult to work the press, just different so I was making sure that things were OK.

This is site really is a great resource.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12