Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Insane Kangaroo's Open Carry log

I seen someone else's log and thought it was a good idea. I'm going this mainly because if I post only the negative eventful encounters people may see the posts in bad light as trying to create a bad encounter.

Please use the following thread to make comments so this threaded log doesn't get filled with comments from other people.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/support-s...plication.html
    Last edited by gunperson003; July 8th, 2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: add comment thread for log

Smile Re: Insane Kangaroo's Open Carry log

July 7 2008:

What I was wearing: Wrangler shorts, Wrangler short sleeve shirt, hiking boots, Yaesu VX-7X, Springfield XD .45 Compact, black plastic mag holder with extr full 10rd mag, and my black duty belt. Yaesu VX-7R listening to both PGH PD1 and PGH PD2. They were the most active channels and would keep me interested while walking.

1. Open carried on foot from Quality Inn located at 700 Mansfield Ave to Giant Eagle located at Mckinney Ln. - Total walking distance - 1.7 + 2.3(made wrong turn back) miles - Uneventful
    2. Giant Eagle -
      • Shopped for groceries
      • No negative encounters
      • One weird reaction - One black guy who is an employee had a surprised shock reaction up on close proximity, "Whoah! Sorry!". I had my usual face on but I did attempt to smile before he seen my firearm, maybe I scared him with my smile...

Log notes: about 7 different cop cars passed me, one which passed me on McKinney Ln and drove back 2 minutes later to later check me with his eyes at the stop light. I had a backpack stuffed full of frozen pizza, orange juice, and several bottles of water hanging in the mesh netting. Completely uneventful.

Other notes: the water tasted so much better followed by the decent pizza.

(Adams County)

Default Re: Insane Kangaroo's Open Carry log

I hope you aren't listening to the scanner while walking, especially with headphones. That would most definately dull your situational awareness. This is especially bad when OCing. You wouldn't want to prove the nay-sayers correct about having your gun taken.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    I hope you aren't listening to the scanner while walking, especially with headphones. That would most definately dull your situational awareness. This is especially bad when OCing. You wouldn't want to prove the nay-sayers correct about having your gun taken.
    I do listen to my radio while OCing, I've a mic clipped to the top of my shirt. At no time does the radio interfere with my SA, but I must mention that my GPS does. The GPS unit, when I need to look where I'm going, isn't always clear which way I should be heading when there are multiple roads and a lack of clearly visible road signs.

Quote Originally Posted by gunperson003 View Post
    I do listen to my radio while OCing, I've a mic clipped to the top of my shirt. At no time does the radio interfere with my SA, but I must mention that my GPS does. The GPS unit, when I need to look where I'm going, isn't always clear which way I should be heading when there are multiple roads and a lack of clearly visible road signs.
    Scanner, GPS, OC....yeah, I think they probably take you for a cop.

Hell, I might.
    VMJade
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by VMJade View Post
    Scanner, GPS, OC....yeah, I think they probably take you for a cop.

Hell, I might.
    The radio is not a scanner, it's a amateur hand-held. I could transmit on the other channels which are not the amateur bands, but only because the radio is modified. I'm 99.9% sure it would be illegal to transmit on the public safety channels.

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd...5&isArchived=0

Currently yes, I'm mostly using it as a scanner since I've no license to transmit on the amateur bands. There is the possibility to using the frequencies which are unlicensed for general use.

The radio is not a scanner, it's a amateur hand-held. I could transmit on the other channels which are not the amateur bands, but only because the radio is modified. I'm 99.9% sure it would be illegal to transmit on the public safety channels.

Currently yes, I'm mostly using it as a scanner since I've no license to transmit on the amateur bands. There is the possibility to using the frequencies which are unlicensed for general use.
    Just a thought, but many police aren't crazy about being monitored by someone who is walking around armed with a pistol and something capable of both receiving and transmitting, whether or not you can trip their repeaters with CTCSS. You look like a bit of a duck to the general public and a nuisance to a cop who isn't radio savvy enough to differentiate the capability of your equipment or possibly even care.

Seriously, tread carefully.

I hope you're up on your FCC regs. Just because you're not transmitting doesn't mean it's not a crime (see: constructive possession of machine gun )

Quote Originally Posted by pex View Post
    I hope you're up on your FCC regs. Just because you're not transmitting doesn't mean it's not a crime (see: constructive possession of machine gun )
    I'm very much certain. In fact there are some letters and court orders from the FCC charging and fining people not only for out of band operation, but for use(as in transmission) of licensed frequencies without a license. You can listen to the any of the freqs the radio has the capability for, its just like using it as a scanner. You just can't transmit or you'll be fined anywhere from 4k-10k, perhaps more depending if they count each occurrence.

Radio operation, like guns, is built upon a community of trust. People who are operators of repeaters DO turn in bad behavior, and if behavior persist the person who is acting ill can have their license taken away and even monetary seizure(fines) can occur. I must mention places like Australia, from reading reports, have "radio crime" of bad behavior since they don't have any type of enforcement from their version of the FCC.
    Last edited by gunperson003; July 8th, 2008 at 03:35 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pex View Post
    There are no regulations in the FCC rules about possession a transceiver capable of transmitting on a frequency that you are not authorized to use. Only if you actually DO it.

The laws regarding Radios are a bit more sane then those for Firearms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast