Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default first press/kit?

So I have some holiday money I'm looking to spend, and i've been considering picking up a kit and getting into reloading.

I'm thinking of starting with a turret press, but aside from that I don't know too much about it. My plan is to start with .357 and stick with that for awhile (lots of brass saved up) before eventually moving to rifle (.223 and maybe eventually 30-06 for the garand)

i keep browsing the big brands (dillon, rcbs, lee...) looking for start up kits available. so far the Lee Classic turret press kit seems like a winner, but i'm not too sure of other options.

Can someone share their opinions/thoughts/experiences/musings about a good kit to start up with (and what tools/extras to pick up along with it?)
    interested in a cz kadet kit, if anyone's selling

(Bucks County)

Default Re: first press/kit?

Whichever you decide upon, I think the biggest PITA with presses is the priming part....decapping not so much if you can get control of the ejected primers; installing new primers with a hand primer is great...you can do it while watching TV or in the comfort of an easy chair so much faster than loading feeding tubes and such (some warn against stacking primers in tubes due to extremely unlikely explosion potential).

Take a look:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=RCBS+ha...IE11TR&pc=LCJB

They use the same shell holder you use in the press. They also make a deluxe universal model with an adjustable shell holder.

I like mine very much, as you can probably tell.

If you want a turret press I think the classic is a real good choice. For the money, you can't go wrong. I had the chaper version of that press and I loaded thousands of 9mm and .45's. Priming was decent. If it has the disk setup for the powder, do yourself a favor and pick up the micrometer insert. It's a couple bucks and 10x easier than changing the stupid disks. You can also dial it in exactly instead of trying to find the correct volume that's pretty close.

(Schuylkill County)

How much money do you have to spend?

(Chester County)

Just one man's opinion, so take it for what it is worth:

Skip the turret.

Start with a single stage kit. Get the feel for reloading and when you are ready, get a progressive, but keep the single stage for when the need arises.

I got this advice when I first started reloading and I am glad I took it.

I started with the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit, which I picked up for $100 at a gun show.

I ended up replacing the scale for an electronic one which I still use, but I loaded a few thousand rounds with that basic kit.

When the math said I had paid for my equipment several times over, I got a Dillon 550b. Right now I only run 9mm on that, but I am planning to do 223 with it as well.

Larger rifle rounds, 30-30 & 30.06 for me, I still like to use the single stage press.

I happened to 'inherit' a RCBS Rock Chucker from an old guy I know that was moving to a retirement community, so that has largely replaced my Lee, but if I had not gotten the RC free, the Lee would still be sitting proudly next to my Dillon.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sshuker View Post
    Just one man's opinion, so take it for what it is worth:

Skip the turret.

Start with a single stage kit. Get the feel for reloading and when you are ready, get a progressive, but keep the single stage for when the need arises.

I got this advice when I first started reloading and I am glad I took it.

I started with the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit, which I picked up for $100 at a gun show.

I ended up replacing the scale for an electronic one which I still use, but I loaded a few thousand rounds with that basic kit.

When the math said I had paid for my equipment several times over, I got a Dillon 550b. Right now I only run 9mm on that, but I am planning to do 223 with it as well.

Larger rifle rounds, 30-30 & 30.06 for me, I still like to use the single stage press.

I happened to 'inherit' a RCBS Rock Chucker from an old guy I know that was moving to a retirement community, so that has largely replaced my Lee, but if I had not gotten the RC free, the Lee would still be sitting proudly next to my Dillon.

This is sound advice. its also the route i took and im very happy i did. my only regret was waiting too long to upgrade from the single stage to the progressive.

(Northumberland County)

The price difference between a Lee single stage and the Lee classic turret press isn't all that much. Go with the turret.

You can remove the auto index rod and run it as a single stage, but still leaving your dies in the turret all dialed in and set. Whenyou get tired of cranking out pistol rounds this way, pop the rod back in. When/if you get tired of pulling the handle 4 times for a round, look for a nice progressive. You'll still have the turret press for small jobs or use as a single stage.

Wink Re: first press/kit?

I began w a RCBS single stage kit years ago and shifted to a Dillon 550 after about 5 years...single is good to learn on. I say try to buy one used if poss.

I also encourage folks to get a digital scale to measure stuff...the old balance beam works, but damn it's slooooooo. The Dillon is now ~30 yrs old now and Dillon still stands behind it ansd stocks parts..they are great. I load .38. .357. .45 asmd 9mm on it easily. I about quit loading rifle bks I stocked up so much brass..can get back into rifle any time, but mostly shoot pistols. have a range in ther back yard so it is easy. Great hobby and marketable skill if SHTF and TEOTWAWKI comes.

(Lycoming County)

When I got back into reloading last year I started with a Le Breech Lock single stage kit. I considered getting a turret press as an upgrade and I ended up just picking up 2 more single stages. I set them up and run them like an assembly line. Works for me and isn't really any slower than the turret IMO. I'll probably upgrade to a progressive someday for pistol rounds, but for now what I have is working out fine. I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to reloading and I like going slower on the single stages. If you have never reloaded before then I would bet that you will take a lot of time measuring and remeasuring powder charges, overall length, and so on. You will make a few mistakes along the way and with the single stagea t least they will be limited to only a one round mistake. The turret press can be run as a single stage and you will probably find yourself running it as such more than not at first. When you get to a point that you are ready to pick up the pace then a progressive does a much better job at that IMO.

No matter what kit you get you will want to get some extras to make life easier. Get a Bullet puller and a hand primer asap. They make life a lot easier. A decent digital scale is also a good addition. Just make sure you keep a good beam scale and know how to use it as a back up and to periodically check on the digital.

If you are mechanically inclined and relatively intelligent, reloading is not rocket science. A turret press is not that complicated. Only one piece of brass at a time, not 5 at a time like a progressive. You just need to understand each step and pay attention. Research, read, watch videos and completely understand what you are doing. I started out on a turret press and I didn't have any problems. If you want a turret press buy one, you will figure it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast