Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Ruger Alaskan 454 repaired

A while back I posted about my recent acquisition of a pre-owned Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in 454 casull. The revolver had what I considered excessive endshake (cylinder face hitting forcing cone) so I sent it in to Ruger.

I must say, Ruger's customer service is EXCELLENT. Even with the holidays, they got it back to me inside of a business week. And, they didn't charge me for anything.

The Packing Slip notes that Ruger:
    NEW PAWL, HAMMER DOG, TRIGGER PLUNGER, ADJUSTED CYLINDER ENDSHAKE, BARREL GAP, LIFT.

Great service. I should ask though, does this work that they did indicate that this Alaskan was in dire need of repair? That seems like a lot of work done, and I don't really know what all those parts actually do on the revolver. Anyone give a clue on the type of work that was needed?

Should I assume that this gun will last a good long time now?
    Thanks. Ruger will be getting my business everytime.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Ruger Alaskan 454 repaired

Don't know shit about the gun, but it makes one hell of a fireball, I do know that. Had a friend lend me one just for shits and giggles a few years back, MAN I loved that little bastard. Leaves a hole the size of a shooter marble.
    Junior

(Adams County)

NEW PAWL, HAMMER DOG, TRIGGER PLUNGER, ADJUSTED CYLINDER ENDSHAKE, BARREL GAP, LIFT.

Great service. I should ask though, does this work that they did indicate that this Alaskan was in dire need of repair? That seems like a lot of work done, and I don't really know what all those parts actually do on the revolver. Anyone give a clue on the type of work that was needed?
    Basically, they replaced and ajusted the parts that handle rotating the cylinder so it will be exactly "in-time" (cylinder directly in line with barrel when it fires) and they fixed the end shake and set the cylinder gap.

Good stuff to have done and you should be in great shape for a long time.
    Last edited by Sam1911; January 9th, 2015 at 01:46 PM.
    --Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1911 View Post
    Basically, they replaced and ajusted the parts that handle rotating the cylinder so it will be exactly "in-time" (cylinder directly in line with barrel when it fires) and they fixed the end shake and set the cylinder gap.

Good stuff to have done and you should be in great shape for a long time.
    thanks for that info. I've noticed that Ruger revolvers seem to have 'looser' tolerances than my Smith & Wessons, but it seems like they've returned this Alaskan to 'factory specs'.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Don't know shit about the gun, but it makes one hell of a fireball, I do know that. Had a friend lend me one just for shits and giggles a few years back, MAN I loved that little bastard. Leaves a hole the size of a shooter marble.
    Thanks for the info. I think I saw a vid on youtube of you shooting the 454 Alaskan at an indoor range. I haven't shot this thing yet, but I know I'm in for some fun.

I know you carry a Taurus 1911 (from your other posts). From what I can tell, this Alaskan is about the same weight as a Gov. model 1911 (~42 ounces), and holds only 1 round less. It's actually shorter in overall length, and can handle .45 caliber slugs with greater muzzle energy than a 1911. (My carry load for this will be a 45 Colt 255 grain gas checked LSWC rated for 1000 ft/s from a 4 inch barrel, which would do roughly 900 ft/s from the Alaskan). Ever thought of OCing an Alaskan?

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

I've OC'd mine a little. The only downside I see is that the gun is slow to point. While the weight may be comparable to a 1911, I think the 1911 could be rotated up to the target a little bit faster due to where the weight balances.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
    I've OC'd mine a little. The only downside I see is that the gun is slow to point. While the weight may be comparable to a 1911, I think the 1911 could be rotated up to the target a little bit faster due to where the weight balances.
    That's all index and very subjective. It's not hard to get a 1911 to point like a Glock and Vice Versa.

Lycanbackstrapsandmainspringhousingsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.