Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Move to disarm Chester County Park Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Here are a few photos from the Chester County Park Ranger's Facebook page documenting that the armed rangers are not wearing body armor.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...28873152_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...02500877_o.jpg

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...47223206_o.jpg

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...63643244_o.jpg

Again I will state if their job is so unsafe they feel the need to carry a gun at work, why not also wear body armor.
    Photo 1 - I cannot speak for why it's not there.
    Photo 2 - he wears body armor all the time.
    Photo 3 - graduation day from training. They were not issued body armor yet.
    Photo 4 - he wears armor all the time as well.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    If the world is so unsafe that you feel the need to carry a gun outside your house, why not also wear body armor?
    Simple I carry a gun for my own protection, though I have worked for many employers who either did not allow me to carry a gun at work and/or would take on the liability of having me carry a gun at work.

This is more than likely the crux of the issue, the county does not want to take on the cost and/or liability of adding to its armed park ranger staff; and may even disarm all of its park ranger staff.

As for body armor, never bought any, but my friend who owns Black Dragon Tactical did give me a Magnum Antiballistic System panel that I carry in my laptop case, just in case I need it.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Local LE yes, although since the US military are government employees, where do you stand on them protecting you from Putin, Jinping, Kim Jong-un, Rouhani, Assad, ISIS...?
    The US Supreme Court has ruled multiple times that government employees have no constitutional duty to protect individuals, unless there is a special arrangement to so, such as with the President, Governor or Mayor.

Read the ruling on these cases:

• Warren v. District of Columbia
    • DeShaney v. Winnebago County
    • Castle Rock v. Gonzalez

The military though having a constitutional duty to provide national defense, and does so for the general defense of the country. Though there is no specific constitutional duty for the military to protect any individual they do not specifically have a duty to protect, such as POTUS, SecDef, JCS, etc.

The military is responsible for the protection of the individual lives of U.S. citizens on a daily basis? Fact of the matter every single military installation in the U.S. is an unarmed victim zone, due to the inability of military personnel and civilian employees and contractors to exercise the 2nd Amendment and carry for self-defense on base.
    Last edited by Red; January 28th, 2015 at 09:10 PM.

(Pike County)

Local LE yes, although since the US military are government employees, where do you stand on them protecting you from Putin, Jinping, Kim Jong-un, Rouhani, Assad, ISIS...?
    I think if Poo-tin boys will show up here with ill intent, then they'll be up for a big surprise.

Wolverines!!!!!
    Je suis déplorable

(Lawrence County)

I'm all for it. The fewer government thugs that carry firearms the safer my dog and I are.

Quote Originally Posted by johnpsu View Post
    From the Chester County Park Rangers Facebook Page on 1/8/2015.

ALERT

The word on the trail is there is a move by County facilities managers to disarm our park rangers -supposedly to reduce expenses and liability.

Dumb move! Instead we should be properly training and equipping the rangers so they can protect us, and appropriately insure that risk.

Chester County is a very affluent county with great parks. Don't risk safety to save a few bucks.

I know for a fact that the two newest full-time Chester County Park Ranger hires are working unarmed. Those two park rangers were told at the interviews that they would not be armed at all.
    Good. Screw those armed hippies.

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    I'm all for it. The fewer government thugs that carry firearms the safer my dog and I are.
    truth.

Seems like a bad idea for their own protection let alone mine. If an unarmed Ranger encounters a threat situation he/she will be unable to engage and will need to stand-off and contact local LE to intervene.
    But why? Guns are banned in Chester County Parks, so nobody else could possibly have one in there, right?! It's a gun free safety utopia in every Chester County park!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JL911 View Post
    But why? Guns are banned in Chester County Parks, so nobody else could possibly have one in there, right?! It's a gun free safety utopia in every Chester County park!
    uh... sure, whatever you say...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by johnpsu View Post
    I know for a fact that the two newest full-time Chester County Park Ranger hires are working unarmed. Those two park rangers were told at the interviews that they would not be armed at all.
    Actually, the interviewees were told that they wouldn't be armed for at least the first 6 months, and until Facilities and Parks and the County Commissioners decided what they were going to do about the Rangers being armed. Apparently ChesCo is the only local county that has sworn Rangers carrying under Act 235.

Normally I'd agree that the fewer government agencies carrying guns the better - but for the most part, ChesCo's parks are located in some fairly remote areas that rely on rather distant state police coverage. Help is a long way off, and there's a lot that can go wrong in some of these parks.

Chester County parks seems to change every few years. Used to be that all Rangers were armed, and they had a cadre of part time Rangers as well as full time staff. Then they got rid of the part timers, and I think hired a couple more full time staff, as well as hiring part time "park technicians" to do 90% of the job without the title.

Now it appears the "park technician" has morphed into a junior-level ranger, and these staff do the same work, without the protection.
    FOAC Volunteer. NREMT-P. NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor & RSO. BSA Rangemaster. Act 235.
    Selling: Remington R1 1911

(Chester County)

Maybe they should get a few "free" MRAPs, and some Ma Deuces too! How many layers of local, state, and fed law enforcement due we need? Every freakin township in PA has its own police force. How many townships do we have? Staties everywhere, DHS, TSA, FBI, and every agency with there own LEO force even though their mission isn't LE.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast