Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default S&W M&P 22 vs ruger SR 22

Newbie to handguns, still waiting on my permit from New York State. I have narrowed my choice of handgun to the S&W M&P 22 or the Ruger SR 22. The primary use will be target, plinking and small game hunting. Looking for reliability, accurate, and easy to strip and reassemble. Any thoughts?

(Pike County)

Default Re: S&W M&P 22 vs ruger SR 22

M&P 22 is a full size gun. The same size as the M&P centerfire's. Great practice gun if you also have the centerfire gun. S&W also has the M&P22 compact. It is over all smaller and similar in size to the SR22. If you what a smaller plinker. Since I shoot an M&P 9mm in IDPA I bought the M&P22 for practice in the back yard. It has run flawlessly. The M&P22 also come pre-threaded for a suppressor adapter. I use it with the suppressor often. But that would not be a consideration in NY since you can not own a suppressor in NY.

(Northampton County)

Knowing that pistol buying is a pita up there.
    Why not look at something like a combo?

For under $400 you can get a Witness 9mm with a .22 conversion.

You'll have two guns on one.

This something I will need to look into. found some good input on the net. I have yet to get any good information on the Ruger SR but the only info I have found is very old. I would appreciate more current information. Thanks for the feed back

After talking with several dealers close by, I am leaning toward the S&W M&P. I have had many positive comments. I have no current feedback on the RUGER SR. The info I have on the SR is very old. Looking for more up to date info on the SR. Thanks for your input

(Chester County)

Sorry, can't help ya with the Ruger. But I do own a M&P 22. It's a blast to shoot. Pretty accurate out of the box and no hiccups, what so ever. Takes any .22 ammo I've tried, even 15 + year old Remington Golden Bullets. So much fun to shoot.

(Allegheny County)

I bought the Ruger SR 22 for training for me and my grandkids. After 200 rounds it has been broken in and is very reliable. It really prefers high velocity .22, but will shoot all day on any CCI ammo. I would be 100% on buying this one again.

(Lackawanna County)

I own an SR22. It is a smaller framed gun than the M&P 22 which is full size like its center fire brothers. The Ruger does have interchangeable grips (a bigger one and a smaller one). They are a real bitch to change out. I have no problem with the gun "fitting" in my hand. Yes, it is smaller than my other guns, but it is by no means tiny.

The Ruger has an external hammer where I do not believe the M&P does. The thumb safety on the Ruger also serves as a decocker for the hammer.

My SR22 is a pleasure to shoot. It eats pretty much any ammo I give it. It can get a little finicky when it gets dirty...meaning 400-500 rounds in a single range trip. It's a popular little gun if I take a bunch of people to the range with me. Cleaning it always solves the trick though.

I know the guide rod in the Ruger is plastic/polymer, and I think the M&P one is metal. Even though the SR22's is plastic, it has never given me any issues.

The SR22 does have a magazine disconnect safety. I don't have a problem with this feature as I don't carry it for self defense. I thought I'd mention it though.

It's a straight shooter and a fun gun.

If you go with the SR22, you will not be disappointed.

I could repeat everything said about the SR22. While it's smaller than some other .22's, it's a fun gun to shoot.
    20 years USN - OSC

(Northampton County)

Sr22 is a nice gun but has its issues with the plastic take down lever breaking.
    Last edited by Ravenbravo; January 12th, 2015 at 01:49 PM.