Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Stolen CZ

(Delaware County)

Default Stolen CZ

I had a handgun stolen last night. I called in the report this morning when I discovered it but was not near my paperwork. When I got to my paperwork to call in the serial number, the officer had already entered it into the report. How did he get it? Also, when I was calling gun shops to see if anyone had come in with it I was told that they do not run serial numbers. Is this the case? Is the serial number part of the background check, and if not how would the officer have gotten mine? If I'm to believe the gun shop owner I spoke to, the thief will be able to sell the gun without an issues? It will only be flagged if it is run by a LEO? Should I basically never expect to see it again?
    Freedom, Reason, Peace

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Stolen CZ

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJefferson View Post
    I had a handgun stolen last night. I called in the report this morning when I discovered it but was not near my paperwork. When I got to my paperwork to call in the serial number, the officer had already entered it into the report. How did he get it? Also, when I was calling gun shops to see if anyone had come in with it I was told that they do not run serial numbers. Is this the case? Is the serial number part of the background check, and if not how would the officer have gotten mine? If I'm to believe the gun shop owner I spoke to, the thief will be able to sell the gun without an issues? It will only be flagged if it is run by a LEO? Should I basically never expect to see it again?
    If you bought the gun in PA, then your serial number was entered into the "not a registry" that the PSP illegally maintains.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If you bought the gun in PA, then your serial number was entered into the "not a registry" that the PSP illegally maintains.
    Correct.

And no, FFLs do not include the serial number as part of the PICS check. There is no gun identifier except on the 4473 that the FFL maintains. As Streaker said, when you buy a handgun, you also fill out a PA State Police form that is labeled a "Record of Sale" that is sent to PSP about every ten days. That is entered into "not a registry" record of sale database.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Allegheny County)

That gun will likely see a police officer before it sees an ffl. When it's used in a crime, or found in a car, or ditched after a shooting, or ditched after a robbery. Etc.

Where it will end up in an evidence locker for an undetermined period of time. And if the numbers are still on it, maybe... You'll get a call.

(Cumberland County)

Not that a thief would necessarily follow the law to sell/get rid of - but if its an older CZ like a 52 or similar, it's also C&R so they can sell it to someone with a C&R license and avoid a regular ffl all together. The C&R holder can just buy it, log it in his journal, and done. Sucks to have it stolen, but other than a miracle, I'd say it's long gone
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"