Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Compensator inside suppressor

Does a compensator work while inside the suppressor?

I ask because a buddy wanted my opinion on which AAC muzzle devices to get for his rifles to mount his 762sdn. Assuming he's pretty much always using the suppressor, does it even really matter which muzzle device he gets? The flash hiders are cheaper than the Brakeouts.

I apologize if this is a really stupid question. I was unable to find the answer on Google.

Default Re: Compensator inside suppressor

EDIT:

I get what you mean.

It would only serve a purpose once the suppressor is removed.
    If he is always using the suppressor, it won't matter.
    Last edited by Dogpupkus; January 5th, 2015 at 01:36 PM.

(Berks County)

I generally am not doing run & gun type stuff, 3 gun etc - mainly shooting from prone or bipod. I pretty much always have my suppressor on as well. My bolt 308 has a flash hider mount & my 556 & 300 blackout AR uppers both have the Brakeout. With the suppressor on, I am not really noticing any difference in muzzle climb, but I am generally not even thinking about fast follow up shots or anything. I'll tell him to get the cheaper ones to save a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by theunrulychef View Post
    I generally am not doing run & gun type stuff, 3 gun etc - mainly shooting from prone or bipod. I pretty much always have my suppressor on as well. My bolt 308 has a flash hider mount & my 556 & 300 blackout AR uppers both have the Brakeout. With the suppressor on, I am not really noticing any difference in muzzle climb, but I am generally not even thinking about fast follow up shots or anything. I'll tell him to get the cheaper ones to save a few bucks.
    Suppressors help to limit muzzle climb, but if you have a good break, sans suppressor, you shouldn't notice much change.

If your buddy is used to shooting with a can, he may want a good enough brake to mimic the same muzzle rise. Cheapest available may not suffice for that :-)

(Berks County)

No it will not work as intended once inside the suppressor. One thing the muzzle brake will do over the flash hider is add some sacrificial baffles if running the suppressor on an SBR. I run the AAC brake on my 10.5" 5.56 to help reduce wear to the first baffle.

(Bucks County)

The AAC Brakeout would not seem to make a good sacrificial baffle considering it's open design. Whether you go with the FH or the Brakeout, I think you're going to be getting the same amount protection for your 762SDN.

When I think of sacrificial baffles, I think more of the KAC Inconel Triple Tap.

For OP: I don't think it will matter once your SDN is on. The added weight will keep your muzzle climb down. The added recoil is what your friend will feel mostly.

(Berks County)

Next time I get him out for a range day, we'll have to experiment.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by awfroadan View Post
    No it will not work as intended once inside the suppressor. One thing the muzzle brake will do over the flash hider is add some sacrificial baffles if running the suppressor on an SBR. I run the AAC brake on my 10.5" 5.56 to help reduce wear to the first baffle.
    This. The Blackout brake is supposed to prolong the life of the suppressor, so I've heard.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Berks County)

I would think if you shoot out an AAC suppressor, they'd re-core it for you - assuming it didn't wear out from negligent use.

(Bucks County)

A muzzle break inside a suppressor would not really act as a muzzle break anymore. A suppressor does a really good job of helping to controller muzzle rise though.

I have a FA AR. With the 10.5" barrel and a normal AR muzzle brake, it is off paper after about the 4th round unless I really muscle it. With the suppressor on I can get about 6 rounds mostly centered before the muzzle climb gets less controllable.

Barrel length is also part of the equation. With 20inch barrel much more controllable with the break and even more so with suppressor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast