Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Where to shoot in Cranberry Twp area?

Hello,

Just moved out this way from Northern VA. As far as I can tell there aren't any ranges in this area. I see that there are some clubs but I am hoping to avoid monthly fees as I'm not sure how often I'll be able to shoot. Do you fellas have any insight?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Where to shoot in Cranberry Twp area?

Welcome!

I just moved to the Pittsburgh area myself not too long ago. As far as public ranges go, there's Anthony Arms and A&S, though neither are exactly close (close to an hour or more away). There's also the State Game Lands #203, which requires either a PA Hunting License or a $30 Range Use Permit, and there's all sorts of rules (such as the 6 round limit), not to mention some people aren't the safest.

I think you're gonna be stuck with finding a club. A lot of people seem to like PMSC, which should be around a 45 minute drive. I'm heading down Wednesday to apply (you apply at the monthly meeting).

(Allegheny County)

If this is the Cranberry Twp area near Wexford.. the state game land Range is only a few minutes away.. Not the best, but as far as free ( - the hunting license or permit you need) its not bad..

(Butler County)

Awesome! The 6 round thing is a little wonky, but hey I'd rather shoot 6 at a time than none. Where can I apply for the shooting permit?

(Allegheny County)

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937842&mode=2

The link is in that big wall of text. For what it's worth, a hunting license is cheaper at $20.70, though you'll need to have a taken Hunter's Education.

(Allegheny County)

a few years ago I bought my hunting license on line.. and don't think it asked if you took the course or not?? might have been a box to check that said you did..
    came in like a week..

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    a few years ago I bought my hunting license on line.. and don't think it asked if you took the course or not?? might have been a box to check that said you did..
    came in like a week..
    It'll ask you to certify that you either took the course or previously held a license or something like that. Ordered mine online around October 2014.

Welcome to the area!

I shoot at Rochester Sportsmens Club, about 10-15 minutes west of Cranberry. Annual membership is very affordable.

I'm not sure if membership is currently open (might be at the member limit), but if enough people don't renew, there may be slots that open up. Renewals were due by the end of December 2014, so it might be a good time to look into it.

I'm not super active there lately, but hit the range whenever I get free time (which has been limited ), but there have been some nice improvements being done to the club grounds lately.

If you might be interested in looking into joining, shoot me a PM to talk. I could take you to the range some weekend morning if you'd want to check it out.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    If this is the Cranberry Twp area near Wexford.. the state game land Range is only a few minutes away.. Not the best, but as far as free ( - the hunting license or permit you need) its not bad..
    Try go go very early or during the week. I feared for my life one to many times at the SGL with all of the unsafe shooters and poor range procedures.

I have been a member at PMSC since 2011. I make the 35 minute drive (without tunnel traffic) from Ross Township to shoot there.

http://www.pmsconline.com/

There is a one time $100 initiation fee, plus a one time $10 gate card fee. But for $75 a year after, you could easily rack up that much in only a couple of trips to a for profit range like Anthony Arms.
    Last edited by QuackXP; January 7th, 2015 at 11:59 AM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Beaver County)

You could also join Ambridge Sportsmans club. We are finishing our new pistol and rifle range next year. Rifle range will go to 300 yards. We have a indoor handgun and archery range, trap and skeet fields. We also have a bar. $50 a year with $100 initiation fee. Would be close with less traffic to fight.

http://ambridgesportsmensclub.com/
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast