Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split cases

Default Split cases

Curious what ya'll think may have caused this? You are looking at two different reloads of 180 grain 30-06. I do not reload, one box was purchased at a gun show, and the other was reloaded by my father some years ago.
    I also shot a few from my father reloads in the same box, only 165 grain, and they didn't split.
    I quit firing them after I saw the linear indications, I typically shoot groups of three, hence the amount of cases. I realize the safety concerns, and wish to know the cause.

I took some quick measurements of the cases, compared to a round of new Winchester 150 grain spent brass I was also shooting the same day.

Brass Wall thickness new: .009" , reload: .009"
    Overall length of spent case: New: 1.472" Reload: 1.480"
    Neck diameter (very top of case) New: .320" Reload: .325"
    I wanted to take a few more measurements, but most of the tapers are not readily discernable at least not to 3 decimal places. Any key ones ya'll think may be pertinent I could try to attain again.

I visually inspected the breech after noting the "cracked cases" for any bulges, or signs of excessive pressure, and observed none. At home I visually inspected the inside of the breech and bolting lugs, once again, everything appears fine. I don't plan on doing any dye penetrant testing at this time.. (I am an ASME certified inspector, familiar with boilers, heat exchangers and so on for what its worth.
    Anyway, I could use some knowledgeable input on this.
    Thank you.

Last edited by tollster; January 3rd, 2015 at 06:40 PM.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Clarion County)

Default Re: Split cases

Can happen with brass that has been loaded and fired several times especially if the loads are on the warm to hot side. The neck becomes brittle from working. Some anneal their cases in the neck area after a number of firings to keep that from happening.
    Last edited by cephas; January 2nd, 2015 at 09:47 PM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

I see that very often with my 7mm-06IMP, after about 4 reloads.
    Just what your brass after you tumble as you may see small cracks at the top of the neck. You may also wish to inspect the base if they are hot loads.

Thanks ya'll, sounds like it could be common. It looked like embrittlement, but I wanted to check with ya'll.. I thought it odd only the 180's did it, but not really an issue, just something to be aware of I take it.. thank you..
    Last edited by tollster; January 3rd, 2015 at 06:42 PM.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Lawrence County)

Primers look ok. Looks like old, brittle brass. I think your casing length measurement is off.

Lycanseemsabitshortfor30-06thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Bucks County)

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Primers look ok. Looks like old, brittle brass.

Lycanseemsabitshortfor30-06thrope

^^^ THIS.

I was "present at the creation" in the 80s when Remington had a couple-year run of problematic brass - case neck splits were the norm. You'd see neck splits in 25% to 35% of cases in a box. I tossed eight boxes of Remington 30-06 fired cases as a result. Memory serves, it was ~83 to 86 thereabouts. Could be only one year's production, but it took a few years to clear the pipeline. I recall hearing reports and reading articles over a few year period. It's why I purged Remington brass and switched to Winchester and Federal.

I was reminded of the issue two yrs ago when I bought a Krag sporter and two boxes of Remington ammo, one a partial. Four cases were missing, and when I fired the balance of the box 9 cases had split necks. I fired 10 Winchester factory loads without any splits, so it wasn't the rifle. The other box of Remington ammo was quite fresh, given the packaging so I fired it, too. No splits.

As an aside, this splitting can result from poorly annealed case necks, multiple-reloaded brass that's not been annealed, or from chemical attack from soaking brass in vinegar or other acidic chemicals to get the brass "nice and shiny." The vinegar attacks the zinc in the brass and weakens the alloy. I cringe when I read about reloaders chemically cleaning brass. Not good in the long term.

Your brass might either be fired and loaded one too many times, or from the bad stuff from the 80s, or a previous reloader washed the cases in vinegar or wheel cleaner, IMO.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

I have to agree with cases being reloaded more then a few times.

(York County)

A lot of factors at play here. I'd be concerned if it was once fired brass or new brass. Since it's been worked (sized) and fired several times, all the factors mentioned come into play. I have 30-30 brass that's probably been loaded 8 times or more. Conservative loadings in a lower pressure round have bought servicability, and the only cleanings were in cob tumblers, so no chemicals. Nothing lasts forever. Toss them and move on.

(Northampton County)

Here is some 35 Rem. brass fro the 70's & 80's. all RP brass.
    Case are split at mostly neck area. Out of 243 rounds, 34 were split.
    I go over my brass with magnifier lens. Before & after loading.
    Yes there are factory RP fired 1 X.

Picture of loaded rounds. !st X loading using Hodgdon's LeverRevoltion powder.
    That is why there is 4 different loads. From 42gr to to a 45gr compressed load.
    Have always loaded using IMR 4064, 38 gr.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NRA Life Member 03/2005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast