Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Split cases

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Split cases

My guess would be overworked brass. maybe a large neck in the rifles chamber causing the brass to be worked more than normal? one trip through a sizing die works the neck 2 times. once to size the neck down, then once again as the ball is pulled through.

(Bucks County)

The OP's split cases are very bad and worse then I have ever got from reloading a case too many times. They are not just a simple linear crack. They go in multiple directions and some even have pieces missing!

This was VERY brittle brass! If you look at his second picture you will see some corrosion on the vertical crack. Like it was sitting a long time and a small unnoticed crack from previous loadings started corroding.

This is not your typical "loaded one to many times" crack. These were loaded too many times AND sat for years (decades?) under poor conditions before they were shot.

These cases were toast a long time ago. If you have any more pull them!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    The OP's split cases are very bad and worse then I have ever got from reloading a case too many times. They are not just a simple linear crack. They go in multiple directions and some even have pieces missing!

This was VERY brittle brass! If you look at his second picture you will see some corrosion on the vertical crack. Like it was sitting a long time and a small unnoticed crack from previous loadings started corroding.

This is not your typical "loaded one to many times" crack. These were loaded too many times AND sat for years (decades?) under poor conditions before they were shot.

These cases were toast a long time ago. If you have any more pull them!
    Noah Zork, stated bad brass. Good memory. A lot of it back in the 60's,70's,
    80's brittle. OLD recalled ammo Still showing up. Reloading/range pick up's. Who knows?
    Please if your NEW to reloading with that progress press, or any press. SORT & EXAMINE the brass you are loading. BEFORE & AFTER loading
    To the Op Very good thread. I have pictures on my reloading bench. Remind me what to look for.
    NRA Life Member 03/2005

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12