Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default PAFOA Gun Shop Map

The PAFOA Gun Shop Map was taken down by Google and is in the process of being re-established.

The former map was the result of a collaboration of many members over a few years providing input to a Google Map of locations of firearms dealers, gunsmiths, big box outdoor and sporting retailers, etc. It was made a "sticky" at the top of the "Shops" subforum and was accessible at the link below to anyone.

MAP NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME.

The shop information is for reference only; PAFOA is not responsible for the accuracy of store information posted by individual Forum members with respect to any given shop.

Please note that map markers may not be placed exactly at the shop location; it is best to go by the address information in the "balloon" that appears when you click on a given marker.

If you plan to visit a store, it is recommended that you contact the store prior to your trip to confirm store hours or even if the shop is still in business.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; December 5th, 2019 at 06:18 PM.
    I dream of an America where a chicken can cross the road without having its motives questioned.

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: PAFOA Gun Shop Map

Valuable resource - thanks very much!

Is there a legend for the color codes?

(Lycoming County)

Can anyone help with some directions on editing the map. I don't know how, sorry not real computer savy . I can see at least one error near me and can probably add 3-5 more smaller shops around here.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

(Lycoming County)

Edited Troxell's to its proper location and added a couple for the area. I see some more missing as well, but I'm conflicted because they aren't places I would recommend visiting.

What does everyone think. List the bad ones also, maybe with a disclaimer? Maybe put the name in a different color as a place to avoid?

IMO, and it's just that, list shops on the map and let the customer / members here sort it out in the "Shops" sub-forum as to their opinions of the establishments. The purpose of this map is to say to other members, "Here be something of potential interest to you in your travels."

Since the map is "open" to editing by anyone with a Google account, I see no point in using different color markers for "different reasons" such as flagging "bad" gun shops because it's a matter of opinion. For example, one of the shops I frequent when in the area is Millers in Mill Hall. I have had no problem with the Millers and have always been treated well and respectfully, but that's how I am with them. There are other PAFOA members here who despise Millers for whatever reasons. I think it's a great shop, but you may think it sucks. Therefore, IMO comments on specific shops belong in respective threads in the "Shops" sub-forum.

As for colors, IMO colors should be used to differentiate shops in close vicinity of each other, and only for that reason (example -- look at Mansfield).

This map is best viewed well "zoomed in" to a practical magnification level given the density of shops in the more urban areas; there are lots of "stacked" markers in high-density locations and the only way to differentiate them is to "zoom in" and use different colored markers.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; January 7th, 2015 at 12:44 PM.
    I dream of an America where a chicken can cross the road without having its motives questioned.

(Jefferson County)

Make note: The balloons may or may not be on the exact location of the respective business. Google's addressing doesn't always place the balloons where the real address is.

However, under the edit option you can drag the balloon to where it should be. If you go to the satellite view you can often see the buildings. ...some newer buildings may not be visible until the satellite re-map the area.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J.

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cumberland County)

This is great - thanks!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    IMO, and it's just that, list shops on the map and let the customer / members here sort it out in the "Shops" sub-forum as to their opinions of the establishments. The purpose of this map is to say to other members, "Here be something of potential interest to you in your travels."

Since the map is "open" to editing by anyone with a Google account, I see no point in using different color markers for "different reasons" such as flagging "bad" gun shops because it's a matter of opinion. For example, one of the shops I frequent when in the area is Millers in Mill Hall. I have had no problem with the Millers and have always been treated well and respectfully, but that's how I am with them. There are other PAFOA members here who despise Millers for whatever reasons. I think it's a great shop, but you may think it sucks. Therefore, IMO comments on specific shops belong in respective threads in the "Shops" sub-forum.

As for colors, IMO colors should be used to differentiate shops in close vicinity of each other, and only for that reason (example -- look at Mansfield).

This map is best viewed well "zoomed in" to a practical magnification level given the density of shops in the more urban areas; there are lots of "stacked" markers in high-density locations and the only way to differentiate them is to "zoom in" and use different colored markers.

Noah
    That is what I was thinking as well. I'll have to add a few more to the list when I have more time. I don't care for some of the places around the area, but maybe someone else will have better experiences then I.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Make note: The balloons may or may not be on the exact location of the respective business. Google's addressing doesn't always place the balloons where the real address is.

However, under the edit option you can drag the balloon to where it should be. If you go to the satellite view you can often see the buildings. ...some newer buildings may not be visible until the satellite re-map the area.
    This may be what happened to the one for Troxell's. I moved it to the right spot because it was showing on the map to be several miles away on the wrong street.

I think this is a good resource. I like to try out new shops a lot so I will probably use this a lot.

(Bucks County)

I added three shops and deleted one that has not been in business for a couple of years.

(Lehigh County)

This is fantastic! Great job!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
    -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    PAFOA Feedback | Emergency Outdoors - Outdoor, Camping, Survival and Preparedness Gear

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast