Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Powder question while reloading

I am using hornady's digital scale. I'll get a picture of the bullet while seated in the shell but not pressed, I feel I do bell the case enough as the bullets sits in the case. I'm not sure about the crimp I know when I used the bullet puller the diameter for the round is squished smaller, I think because there is a ring where the case stops.

These are the bullets I'm using,
    http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i15...N___250ct.aspx
    CZ Owner Walter Owner Remington Owner Lanco Tatical Owner

(Lackawanna County)

If you are denting the head from the crimp your crimp is too much if you're shaving the head you need more bell.

(Cumberland County)

http://www.reddit.com/r/reloading/co...ing_flattened/

I think I might have set up my die wrong. I'm going to fallow that this guy says.
    CZ Owner Walter Owner Remington Owner Lanco Tatical Owner

(Lackawanna County)

Do you have the die setup for a flat nose head

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by JcBook47 View Post
    Thanks guys! I'm using Lee's 35th anniversary single stage kit. Power pistol is the powder.

Another question I have is I am using berrys 115gr rn bullets and when I seat them the nose flattens out and just below the tip is a cut from the bullet seater. I'm using RCBS dies.

How do I check seating depth? I used a bullet puller on a round o loaded and measured where the case marked the bullet.
    Sounds like you've got the Lee perfect powder measure then. Some people have hacked that problem with large variances in powder drops by using dry graphite lube on the inside of the cup. I fixed the problem by getting another powder measure. What you can do though is try to get it as accurate as you can and then visually inspect all of your cases in the reloading tray and if a case seems too low or too high, measure the powder in it and redo.

If your bullet seater is flattening a bullet, something is going wrong there. Could be die set up or you haven't expanded the case enough.

Check seating depth by getting a pair of digital calipers:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/417...tainless-steel

$23 and you can measure case length to the thousandth of an inch fast and easy.

(Luzerne County)

Variance. I have a slightly different take on charge weight variance. I do not believe that a variance such as mentioned in this thread is worth worrying about.
    Ask yourself.....what am I using this ammo for? What kind of gun am I using? How will it be fired?
    Handguns fired standing at relatively close targets....how important is a variance of .1gr, .2grs.? Not very. For hunting ammo...loaded close to max and fired under field expedient conditions....not very. Pistol basics are much more important than a couple of grains one way or the other.

I load most of my pistol ammo (.38, .44, .45ACP) on progressive presses. I check the weight at the beginning of each new season. I drop a few charges...no more than five. If they are within a tenth, I am good to go.
    I rarely check after that - checking, even at 10-20 found intervals - kind of defeats the purpose of a progressive machine.
    I have loaded many tens of thousands of rounds like this. The ammo is reliable and accurate.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12