Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this odd?

(Cumberland County)

Default Is this odd?

I was at range today shooting several 45's. I was at plinking range so was shooting mainly steel targets, plastic bottles, etc.. I had a couple plastic bottles set up on ground in front of steel plates and shot quite a few rounds at them. On one trip down to re-set the bottles, I see this perfectly formed bullet lying near the bottles. Is it me, or is it really odd that a bullet would be pretty much unscarred, lying on top of the ground like this. I can't figure it out....
    If this is in the wrong thread my apologies - but figured I was talking pistols

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Is this odd?

Not odd at all....especially for a 45.
    manharts gunsmithing/machine shop/dirt bike repair

(Montgomery County)

I see them at the range all the time but for the life of me I can't figure out how that happens. If I saw it in a movie I would say "BS" that would never happen but, there it is.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    I see them at the range all the time but for the life of me I can't figure out how that happens. If I saw it in a movie I would say "BS" that would never happen but, there it is.
    ^^ Me too ! Recovered 45,9mm,and 40 that only had rifling marks.

All fmj,not carry/defensive ammo.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Allegheny County)

I fired a .45 through a 4x4 and the bullet was recovered behind it in the same condition as the OP's. Seems to be typical for .45 RN's.
    Toujours prêt

(Perry County)

Same here, I found a perfect, other than rifling, round nose laying on top of the ground when shooting .45.

No idea how it happened. I shoot at steel targets. If I miss, it usually hits the tree the target is attached to.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Bucks County)

Examining the bullet microscopically might lend information pointing to the reasons.

(Cumberland County)

I could maybe understand it fully formed, but simply lying on top of the ground, not dug in, or anything? It had to hit something and then just drop and lie there but not real damage. That one strong fmj!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

I find bullets laying on top of the ground at the range all the time. Mostly .45 and light 115gr 9mm.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I could maybe understand it fully formed, but simply lying on top of the ground, not dug in, or anything? It had to hit something and then just drop and lie there but not real damage. That one strong fmj!
    as others have said I see it all the time, even with lead bullets (I once had a lead .38 get stuck in plywood at 25 yards). A .45 has less momentum then a person walking, so it really wouldn't take much to stop it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast