Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default flying with a handgun...a few odd questions.

In February I'm flying to Texas and wanted to bring my Roger .380 lcp. I've been reading on several sites but am confused on a few details.
    #1- I will be buying a new hard case so I can put two secure locks on it. However, I planned on putting it in my checked luggage with the gun case inside it locked. However, I read this is not a good idea?

#2- can the ammo be in the same container as the gun....not in the magazine and obviously not in the gun. Meaning, can I leave the ammo in a plastic container in the same case as the gun?

Next, is there an absolute procedure in declaring a firearm?

I reference this article for some onfo:
    http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...ing-with-guns/

Any help is appreciated as I don't want to screw this up.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Bucks County)

Default Re: flying with a handgun...a few odd questions.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    In February I'm flying to Texas and wanted to bring my Roger .380 lcp. I've been reading on several sites but am confused on a few details.
    #1- I will be buying a new hard case so I can put two secure locks on it. However, I planned on putting it in my checked luggage with the gun case inside it locked. However, I read this is not a good idea?

#2- can the ammo be in the same container as the gun....not in the magazine and obviously not in the gun. Meaning, can I leave the ammo in a plastic container in the same case as the gun?

I have flown approximately 30 times with a declared handgun. I have two small gun safes that have a combination lock and steel wire attached. I use a plain black duffle and have the wire going through the bottom of the bag so that I can pull the one with the handgun out of the bag to declare it, sign the slip, and have the slip put into the safe with the handgun. The other safe I use for ammo.

Only issue I ever had was once going out of Philadelphia non stop to Atlanta, someone tried to pry my safes. They were unsuccessful in getting into safes and US Air paid for the new safes. It was theorized that this happened in the belly of the plane by one of the baggage handlers but no arrest was made.

The safes I use were bought from Pro Bass Shops for approximately $32.00 each. I would check with the airlines you are using to see if they have any special rules for checking the handguns in the luggage. I have flown US Airways, Southwest, American Air, Air Tram and Delta with no issues using the small safes secured by cable inside a black duffle, other than the attempt to enter my safes in Philadelphia.

I would definitely attached whatever you have your handgun in to the main bag, otherwise some baggage handler can remove it and send the main bag through.
    Last edited by chiefdjs; December 30th, 2014 at 10:43 AM.

(Bucks County)

I just sent a PM to you.

(Chester County)

I've flown quite a few times with firearms. Never have had an issue.

Usually I just use a hard sided lockable case in a soft bag, locking both the case and the bag with a NON-TSA lock.

Never had an issue so far. At the destination, I take a moment to check the case is still present and hasn't been unlocked, and once i get to the car, I check the contents usually.

As for ammo - I've flown with it inside the same case, in either factory boxes or a MTM-case guard reloading box.
    FOAC Volunteer. NREMT-P. NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor & RSO. BSA Rangemaster. Act 235.
    Selling: Remington R1 1911

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post

Also around 30 times here.

1. I always lock my handgun in a case with a non-TSA lock and then put it in my luggage with a TSA lock on the luggage.

2. The ammo must be contained and covered. It certainly can be loaded in mags, but the mags would require mag covers on them. Being in a mag pouch/holder might be OK since it is covered, I forget. And, Yes, all that can be in the case with the gun, ready to go. In factory or reloading boxes is obviously never an issue.

However, one or more airlines don't want the ammo in the case with the gun. I think US Air was that way. Check the rules of the airliner. I print relevant experts of both TSA and the airline and keep them in my pocket. I never had to show them, but TSA did want me to put ammo in my gun case once because my loaded mags were not covered and I had to tell them my airline did not allow ammo in the gun case.

The procedure is to go to the ticket counter and say you want to check a firearm. Then follow directions. They will ask you to open the case.

It's quick, painless, and nobody will put you in jail if you make a mistake.

(Bucks County)

Thank you all for the responses...greatly helps. I will be flying Spirit and need to contact them because I bought an NV200 ( http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV200.../dp/B00384755S ) steel gun case with a cable that can be attached to the inside of my suitcase I plan to check on. However, it reads:

4.1.1.17. Firearms
    Spirit Airlines will allow customers to transport firearms in accordance
    with applicable regulations. Except for personnel authorized by the
    federal government, the following conditions must be met: (i)
    firearms are accepted as checked baggage only, (ii) firearms must be
    packed in a hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm;
    a locked hard-sided gun case; a locked hard-sided piece of luggage. A
    handgun packed in a hard-sided gun case may be packed inside a softsided
    piece of luggage. A Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in
    this case.
    Firearms may not be checked curbside. No one under 18
    years of age may check a firearm. A customer who presents baggage
    containing a firearm must declare that the weapon is unloaded.
    Baggage containing firearms must be locked at all times and the key
    or lock combination retained by the customer. A Firearm Declaration
    form must be signed and placed on the outside of the locked case
    containing the firearm. Ammunition must be packed in the original
    manufacturing package or metal/wood box, with a maximum of 11
    pounds per customer. Loose ammunition or clips will not be
    accepted. Spirit Airlines allows only one (1) checked firearm per gun
    case per customer.
    NOTE: Firearms are NOT permitted to/from international
    destinations.

What does that mean?

Also, you say a TSA lock---I assume it's a TSA approved lock?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Northampton County)

Non-TSA approved lock is required for the gun case.

TSA approved lock can go on the outer bag.

Bring an extra one of each. Sometimes they cut them. Why they would cut a TSA approved lock I have no idea, but they do once in a while on my gun bag. Maybe the "need to check your gun again" TSA guys don't have all the keys that the "goin' through your shit" TSA guys have.

(Tioga County)

I was happy with the Seahorse one pistol case I bought for $30. I put 2 Master locks on it. Both times I did have to open my suitcase to tape the firearms declaration form to the case, but not open the case itself.

Definitely lock your case with a Non TSA lock or two.

Also check with the airline about their own policy, some may differ.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Non-TSA approved lock is required for the gun case.

TSA approved lock can go on the outer bag.

Bring an extra one of each. Sometimes they cut them. Why they would cut a TSA approved lock I have no idea, but they do once in a while on my gun bag. Maybe the "need to check your gun again" TSA guys don't have all the keys that the "goin' through your shit" TSA guys have.
    Hell. I use a NON-TSA lock on both. I use combination locks so I don't have to worry about keys - One on the pistol case and a second on the main zipper of my bag. I've never had either cut.
    FOAC Volunteer. NREMT-P. NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor & RSO. BSA Rangemaster. Act 235.
    Selling: Remington R1 1911