Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Shelf Life of Powder...

I was wondering what the consensus is here on the shelf life of powder. I have about a dozen cans of partially filled powders, various IMR, Winchester, etc. All have been kept sealed in a cool (50-80F), dry area. Now it’s been a while since I’ve done any serious reloading, quite a while. In fact I almost dropped my left nut when I saw the dates in my old log book, 1990! Like I said it’s been a while. Well if the powder in the cartridge last nearly forever, what about the can?

Thanks guys…

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Shelf Life of Powder...

Given the storage conditions you state, that powder should be good for a long long time. It might even outlast you.

Quote Originally Posted by wlpier View Post
    I was wondering what the consensus is here on the shelf life of powder. I have about a dozen cans of partially filled powders, various IMR, Winchester, etc. All have been kept sealed in a cool (50-80F), dry area. Now it’s been a while since I’ve done any serious reloading, quite a while. In fact I almost dropped my left nut when I saw the dates in my old log book, 1990! Like I said it’s been a while. Well if the powder in the cartridge last nearly forever, what about the can?

Thanks guys…

(Chester County)

I just started reloading again after a multi-decade hiatus. Some of my powders and primers are 40 yrs old and work like I bought them yesterday. Haven't noted any deterioration on the cans nor lack of performance.

I agree with rwilson.

(Jefferson County)

I bought a case of BlueDot back in the late '80s that I'm still using, 3 cans left. Not a problem..

We have some really old stuff on the farm that my granddad used back in the '40s and '50s that still shoots good.

As long as you keep it dry and away from humidity it should be fine for decades. Loaded ammo from the late 1800's is still being shot with pretty much the same reliability as when it was new.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

Powder from the 70's on is very stable and doesn't degrade much over time unless subject to extremes (your's hasn't). Just give it the sniff test. If it smells acrid or has a very sharp strong smell then you probably should get rid of it.

I also have had powder that was very old and worked well. Just remember to start your loads below the max and work up from there.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Northampton County)

Depending on how old it is you might need an old reloading manual. Powder should last forever if it was kept in the right conditions, such as was expressed in the OP.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Cumberland County)

From Shooter357:
    “Depending on how old it is you might need an old reloading manual.”

LOL, I hear ya. Well, given the powder is near twenty years old you can bet the stack of reloading manuals I have are pushing 30, but that’s okay since the “newest” gun I have is pushing 40.

(I wonder if there is much of difference, if any, in the latest and greatest reloading manuals?)

Thanks again. Now I can tell the wife there is a reason I don’t throw anything out….

(Washington County)

I used to sell military surplus WC-820 powder. I'd buy it in 150lb kegs that were packaged in 1972, which made it about 30 years old at the time. No one ever had a problem with it.

Keep it cool, dry and away from sunlight and you shouldn't have any problems.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Lehigh County)

I bought 50 lb of Hodgen 4831, which was surplus powder from WW II, in 1964. What I had left went bad about 10 years ago. I'm currently loading shot shells with Hercules Red Dot that I bought about 1970. That's right, Hercules, not Aliant.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.