Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Any shops in the PGH area with a good selection of used/second-hand audio?

Looking for some old-skool bookshelf speakers on the cheap, old Larger Advents, AR2s or 3s, Bose 501s, 901s, JBL L6xs, et al. Seems like all the audio stores of old have disappeared...

TIA!
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Any shops in the PGH area with a good selection of used/second-hand audio?

The problem with used or second hand "Old School" speakers is that the drivers (speakers) may be worn out. Typically the "surround" on many drivers where made of foam that deteriorates from use. Some use rubber surrounds that become brittle and crack over time. I have two sets of Boston Acoustic speakers (A60's and A70's) that are close to 30 years old that I still use today. I've replaced the (woofer) drivers on them multiple times.

There use to be a company in Etna (IIRC) that had used gear and would rebuild speakers and drivers on site. Not sure they are still around. Can't recall the name either, Sorry.

If you are interested in new High End from a small shop, check out "Butch's Sound and Vision" in Natrona Heights. I bought my Boston's there back in the late 80's.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Any shops in the PGH area with a good selection of used/second-hand audio?

Thanks! I tried Google and the 'net YPages and came up with nothing, maybe the store you mentioned is gone.

I hear you about the old stuff;

I had a pair of Altec Lansings (the L of JBL) bought new in 1974 (bought them as they sounded warmer than Advents and I couldn't afford real JBL-100s) - - and the rubber surrounds of the woofers disintegrated into dust by the late 80's.

Had I known then that I could have had them easily repaired.... shiit.

Meanwhile, still have my Marantz 2240 that needs repaired, and a Blowze LifeStyle 12 that has the usual failed head unit. Bought the Blowze as we were stoopid and it looked stylish.

Oh well.. Guess I'll keep an eye on Goodwill stores.

(Allegheny County)

Hey! Have you looked through Pittsburgh Craig's List? They have a ton of bookshelf speakers listed for sale.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/sea...query=speakers
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

I have a buddy who hits estate sales for old stereos and speakers. He rehabs them and sells the ones he doesn't fall in love with. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll put you in touch.

(Allegheny County)

http://vintagehifipgh.com/

just got off the phone with him. He said the forum on this site would be a good place to start or like others have said, craigslist.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The problem with used or second hand "Old School" speakers is that the drivers (speakers) may be worn out. Typically the "surround" on many drivers where made of foam that deteriorates from use. Some use rubber surrounds that become brittle and crack over time. I have two sets of Boston Acoustic speakers (A60's and A70's) that are close to 30 years old that I still use today. I've replaced the (woofer) drivers on them multiple times.
    Ditto, I have a set of Walnut Advents from the early eighties and the speakers need reworked due to environmental deterioration. Not too expensive to fix but one of these days I'll get around to sending the speakers out to get rebuilt.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks all for the ideas and suggestions!

Just snagged a pair of original, 1-owner ADC 303AX consecutivey-numbered 2-way speakers off C-list.