Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Armstrong County)

Default Re: PA Gun Collectors Ass'n Gun Show (1/17 & 1/18) (Northway Mall)

There will not be another gun show held in Monroeville by a different promoter. The C&E shows are held at the "Monroeville Convention Center" which profits the borough.
    Its all politics.

I always laugh at the "no one has deals anymore" attitude people have. Have you been living under a rock the past 15 years?
    What do you want for deals?
    $100 cases of Wolf 7.62x39?
    $5 boxes of 9mm?
    $80 Nagants?
    Cheap pre-64 Model 70s?
    $100 Trapdoors that you pick yourself from an empty pickle barrel?

Stopper, what are you looking for?
    If you are looking to browse around, among the 3 or 4 of us Title 2 dealers you may find something, but its not like all of us empty our inventory to bring to the shows. We bring what sells.
    Your best bet would be to wait until June for the return of the SAR East show. It will be held in Harrisburg at the Farm Show Complex.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    It's true there are a few at PGCA (and any gun show really) who have some VERY unrealistic expectations about what they want for some items. However that being said and acknowledged there are always a large portion of the vendors there who have some cool stuff available at reasonable cost. It all depends what a person is looking for and what that person considers a "good deal". If one is expecting new production merchandise at below wholesale then one is probably in for a letdown. On the other hand if someone is seeking an interesting and sometimes obscure tidbit or firearm, there are usually good number of decent deals on those items to be found there (and at most any gun show) One just has to look for them and have realistic expectations. As with your 20 Yr. old 30-.30 for $25.00; expecting to find a collectable firearm for the same price as 20 Yrs. ago is unlikely. It would be nice and it happens on rare occasions, but don't hold your breath. I'm not.

You are correct on one thing. Some vendors need an attitude adjustment. While a business owner shouldn't allow his or her self to be taken advantage of, there is such a thing as a proper business demeanor. Helpful, polite and pleasant boosts sales much better than rude and obnoxious.
    Reminds me of a couple of notoriously rude vendors at the Oaks show. They were complaining about not selling much. Another vendor told them: "You probably need to adjust your merchandise, your prices or your attitude. More than likely the latter." That statement applies to most any business anywhere.
    I am working at a big box gun shop in Washington right now because Obamacare caused my full time to be cut to part time.... anyways all I heard this weekend at people coming to the show were people complaining about profiteers and rude vendors really low balling people on the used guns they were trying to sell. One guy brought in a CZ 550 because someone at the show offered him $225 and said that was a favor for that gun. I offered him $550.

My point is gunshows should make big box weekends slower not busier. We should be dead because people are either finding what they want or saving $5-$10 or more over our prices. We shouldn't be busy because people are pissed at the show because of rude vendors or high prices.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    What do you want for deals?
    $100 cases of Wolf 7.62x39?
    $5 boxes of 9mm?
    $80 Nagants?
    Cheap pre-64 Model 70s?
    $100 Trapdoors that you pick yourself from an empty pickle barrel?
    If any of those were on the tables they would be sold in the first 30 seconds of the show. Demand is high right now. Of course prices aren't going to come down.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

Figured I would Chime in on this one. I used to setup at this show when it was at Greenburgh and have set up a few times when it was at the Mills. I liked the Mills the most. I set up at the last show at Northway and there was not much of a crowd. I got to every show around Pittsburgh or within a 2 hour drive. I dont understand how Monroeville and Washington are so much more popular. PAGC is ONLY GUNS or Related. The other shows have T shirts, Chinese crap, jerky, jewelry, fudge, ect. Hopefully this weekend will be better.

On the topic of dealers. I am not a "dealer" just a collector that likes to buy and sell. What most people dont understand is how much it truly costs to set up at these shows. Some peopel have 4+ tables at $50 each. Some have to travel, get a hotel, gas, ect. So who can blame them for wanting a few more bucks than a big box, what ever happened to helping small businesses or supporting others instead of Walmart? Yes, some people have extremly horrid prices on things, but others dont. I constantly look at what guns SELL for on Gunbroker, I price accordingly. Most of the time my stuff is cheaper than the average on GB, plus you have to pay tax in some cases, shipping and FFL fee. I even tell people to look at Gunbroker if they have a smart phone. Yet, they still try to negotiate and make a low ball offer.

So ya, if you walk in with a gun trying to sell and I'm a dealer and you ask me if im interested and the gun is sellable at maybe $500 I'm going to offer you $250-$300 max, otherwise there is no margin it it.

(Allegheny County)

I experience first hand at the last show a well known local dealer had a BNIB gun I was interested in for $399. I made note of his price and continued to look around. Not 5 tables away was another dealer who I had never seen before had the same BNIB gun selling for $499. I laughed and went back and bought the one for $399. Now tell me why such a big price difference between the two dealers? BTW $499 is full MSRP on that gun.
    Toujours prêt

(Butler County)

Thumbs down Re: PA Gun Collectors Ass'n Gun Show (1/17 & 1/18) (Northway Mall)

Wait till this show: they may have invited non gun related vendors to help make ends meet, as every show loses money, Look out for the RUSSIAN selling heat packs, check the expiration dates on the canned goods!!!

(Butler County)

Cool Re: PA Gun Collectors Ass'n Gun Show (1/17 & 1/18) (Northway Mall)

Will show up some time sat, looking for a Henry in 44 mag for me and a 22-250, 223 single or bolt for my son in law, for garden hogs.

Quote Originally Posted by uaheclipse24 View Post
    Figured I would Chime in on this one. I used to setup at this show when it was at Greenburgh and have set up a few times when it was at the Mills. I liked the Mills the most. I set up at the last show at Northway and there was not much of a crowd. I got to every show around Pittsburgh or within a 2 hour drive. I dont understand how Monroeville and Washington are so much more popular. PAGC is ONLY GUNS or Related. The other shows have T shirts, Chinese crap, jerky, jewelry, fudge, ect. Hopefully this weekend will be better.

On the topic of dealers. I am not a "dealer" just a collector that likes to buy and sell. What most people dont understand is how much it truly costs to set up at these shows. Some peopel have 4+ tables at $50 each. Some have to travel, get a hotel, gas, ect. So who can blame them for wanting a few more bucks than a big box, what ever happened to helping small businesses or supporting others instead of Walmart? Yes, some people have extremly horrid prices on things, but others dont. I constantly look at what guns SELL for on Gunbroker, I price accordingly. Most of the time my stuff is cheaper than the average on GB, plus you have to pay tax in some cases, shipping and FFL fee. I even tell people to look at Gunbroker if they have a smart phone. Yet, they still try to negotiate and make a low ball offer.

So ya, if you walk in with a gun trying to sell and I'm a dealer and you ask me if im interested and the gun is sellable at maybe $500 I'm going to offer you $250-$300 max, otherwise there is no margin it it.
    It doesn't help that we are our own worse enemy when it comes to gun shows. We now look on line and see what ammo ,guns, and what not are goin for and expect the people who set up at gun shows to have the same prices. We're either too stupid or don't care that the dealers have to pay the same shipping fees to get the same ammo and what not that we can get on line. Gun shows are the quickie mart of the gun world. Yes the prices might be a couple bucks more than big box mart, but you're paying for the convenience of finger banging a ton of guns in one building. So what if some dealers are price gouging, just walk on by em as you tell em they're on crack

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guidegun View Post
    Will show up some time sat, looking for a Henry in 44 mag for me and a 22-250, 223 single or bolt for my son in law, for garden hogs.
    Get your Henry at Walmart.

(Indiana County)

Too bad the location is horrible to get to and that the President of the PGCA also runs a gun buy back and coincidentally also sells gun parts, antique and collectible guns and militaria...

But hey, the members can elect a crook if they want, I just don't have to spend money there.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast