Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Somerset County)

Default Re: Loading for .44 mag

For plinking, I load 240 gr cast SWC over 8.5 (?) grains of Unique. For hunting, I load 240 Hornady XTP's over a nearly maximum Win 296. You'll have to work up to your levels.

Both loads have shot fine in my 5.5 inch Redhawk for over 20 years.

Dale

(Columbia County)

I have some cast 215gr swc from Moyers cast bullets that I'd like to use. I haven't found a recipie yet. I'd prefer to use them in Magnum cases with H110 but not sure if its possible.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by deth-jeep View Post
    I have some cast 215gr swc from Moyers cast bullets that I'd like to use. I haven't found a recipie yet. I'd prefer to use them in Magnum cases with H110 but not sure if its possible.
    H110 is going to be the least "forgiving" powder to use. It sure doesn't like reduced loadings, and full-tilt-boogie loads will be high pressure. You'd have to have the bullet fit and hardness exactly right to shoot those without leading.

Measure your bullets, measure your throats, slug your bore. That will tell you how close you are to workable. Then try to find some 2400 or any of the middle-upper range powders so you don't have to push that bullet quite so hard.
    --Sam

(Clarion County)

Recommend looking at 2400 for choice of powder for cast and full house loads. There's a reason its been a mainstay in the .44 mag for decades.
    Very good advice from those who mention cylinder throat size. My Redhawk runs big in the throats so a hand cast dropping at .432-.433" fits the bill. Before getting into casting I shot many plinking loads of .430 commercial.
    Old time advice of cleaning all the copper you can out of the barrel before using the leads loads is a good one.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Clearfield County)

I have been shooting high velocity cast bullets out of 44 mags since the 70s. I use them in rifles as well as pistols. Gas checks are worth the couple of cents they cost to get the big boost in performance they provide. Even at rifle velocities, you get very good accuracy with no leading. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1911 View Post
    H110 is going to be the least "forgiving" powder to use. It sure doesn't like reduced loadings, and full-tilt-boogie loads will be high pressure. You'd have to have the bullet fit and hardness exactly right to shoot those without leading.
    I don't like H-110/W-296 with non-gas checked bullets. Old timers have told me slow burning powers like H-110 , and to a lesser extent 2400 , cause vaporization of the base of plain lead bullets , which then deposits on the bore surface.

As you said , it doesn't like reduced loads. It works best with slightly compressed loads (and magnum primers). It also works best in longer barrels. Many people like the big muzzle flash when fired in shorter barrels , but that's just wasted energy.

I've switched to Blue Dot for all my magnum-level , and warmer(+P) level 'specials' cast bullet loads. A little faster than 2400 , B-D also works well in shorter barrels.

WARNING , B-D does NOT like being compressed too much. Pay close attention to cast bullet design (shank length). Don't assume all cast bullets of the same weight can use the same data.

Many SWC bullets are generically refered to as "Keith-style" , but true Elmer Keith design bullets like the Lyman have a very short shank which leave more room in the case for more powder and carry most of the weight in the long nose.

The two center bullets are only 5gr apart , but as you can plainly see , the SWC on the right will compress the powder charge a lot more than the ''Keith-style'' SWC on the left.
    Last edited by abner13; December 30th, 2014 at 03:30 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Columbia County)

I appreciate the heads up on the H110/cast issues. Looks like I need to do a lot more research.

I just picked up 500 Berrys plated 225 gr flat nose bullets, I have Titegroup powder and Federal large pistol primers. As soon as I get my shell plate I'm going to start loading. I figure I'll load some up middle of the road just for target practice.

I also got 300 225 gr Hornady FTX bullets for hunting. I'm going to try to find some H110 powder and experiment with different OAL and charges to get something accurate.

(Montgomery County)

This seems as good a thread to ask this question w/o starting a new thread. I just started reloading for my Bisley and I was wondering how much crimp you all use? Thanks
    Opera Non Verba

(Adams County)

I crimp fully. That means the brass is rolled down into the big crimp grove in those LRN slugs and will generally even suck the bullet down a touch until the case mouth bottoms against the top edge.

Here's Brad's (Missouri Bullet Co.) slugs I use, and that tapered lower edge of the crimp groove really lets the brass get a grip.

--Sam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast