Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default CC intervenes, stops man from hitting woman (what would you do?) video in link

A CC stepped in and drew his gun when he saw a man punching a woman. Would you have interjected yourself into this situation and pull your gun? Or would you have done what the police wanted and called 911 so that they could handle it?

If nothing else this shows the importance of knowing the laws. The article said that they reviewed the tape to make sure the CC holder was not violating any laws. Luckily in this case it does not appear that he did, but goes to show that stepping up the way he did has potential consequences, something everyone should consider when running scenarios through their head.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...woman-car.html

Dramatic footage captures tense moment 'hero' with a concealed carry permit stopped man he saw assaulting a woman in his car
    The unidentified man was driving in Southlake near Dallas, Texas
    He then saw suspect MacMichael Nwaiwu, 28, hitting his female passenger
    In response he stepped out of his car and pulled out his weapon
    The incident was captured on a cell phone by witnesses parked nearby
    Nwaiwu was arrested on assault charges and taken into custody

This is the dramatic moment a motorist with a concealed carry permit got out of his car and aimed his gun at a man who was punching a woman.
    The unidentified man, hailed by witnesses as a hero, was driving along a road in the city of Southlake near Dallas, Texas, when he saw suspect MacMichael Nwaiwu, 28, attacking the female passenger on Friday.
    He then pulled over, stepped out of the driver's side door and held up his weapon to the red car on the other side of the road.

Video footage captured by witness Lindsey Bryant on her cell phone shows Nwaiwu stepping out of the vehicle and holding his hands up.
    She was sitting on a nearby intersection when she started filming and asked her sister Mistina Donald to call 911.
    Moments later, patrol cars arrived at the scene and pointed their guns at the unnamed man, but they then took Nwaiwu into custody.
    Donald told CBS DFW: 'It was intense not knowing whether bullets were going to start flying from either side of the street.
    'It’s amazing that in this day in age that people are willing to reach out and help

Bryant added: 'I hope more people see this and are willing to go the extra mile for someone who like this woman, didn’t have a voice and couldn’t speak up for herself.'

Southlake Police Chief Steven Mylett said in a statement: While we commend this citizen's willingness to get involved in order to protect a victim of crime, the Southlake Police Department does not encourage the public to expose themselves in such a manner.' He insisted that instead witnesses call 911.

Nwaiwu was booked into the Keller Jell following his arrest for arrest.
    In a post on the Southlake Department of Public Safety's Facebook page, Mylett added: 'Preliminary investigation revealed the individual with the firearm had observed an assault in progress inside a vehicle; specifically, a man physically assaulting his female front seat passenger.

'The witness, a concealed handgun license holder, believed the female passenger to be in imminent danger of a felony offense. When both vehicles stopped, the witness exited his vehicle and confronted the suspect of the assault at gunpoint.

'Vehicular traffic stopped in both directions on FM 1709 until police arrived.
    'The suspect of the assault, identified as MacMichael Nwaiwu was arrested at the scene and transported to the Keller jail.
    'Due to the unusual circumstances in this case, the Southlake Police Department consulted with the Tarrant County District Attorney's Office to determine if the witness had committed any violations of law.

'Based on the available information at the scene, the District Attorney's Office did not believe the witness violated any State law. The Southlake Police Department continues to investigate this incident and will work closely with the District Attorney's Office until this investigation is closed

(Bucks County)

Default Re: CC intervenes, stops man from hitting woman (what would you do?) video in link

Yes chief Mylett, he should have called 911 then sat there and watched while the asshole beat her to death from the safety of his own vehicle.

WTF?!?!?

Default Re: CC intervenes, stops man from hitting woman (what would you do?) video in link

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Yes chief Mylett, he should have called 911 then sat there and watched while the asshole beat her to death from the safety of his own vehicle.

WTF?!?!?
    I can see the headlines and hand wringing now. "Woman beat to death as onlookers gawk, what has our society come to"

(Delaware County)

Tough call
    What if the assailant wants to call your bluff and start walking towards you?
    Do you shoot an unarmed man or reholster and run?

If you shoot... Better hope that gal is REALLY beat up to help your story

Something to think about. Situations are dynamic

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Tough call

Agreed, also if you somehow misinterpret the situation it can also lead to problems.

(Delaware County)

Tough call

Another reason to have a dashcam in your car...just sayin'.
    Junior

(Pike County)

Back at the farm my actions were backed by my badge hence weren't questioned. I restrained burglars on multiple occasions after quitting the force, once using a firearm (my dad, who first spotted the burglars, drew, but didn't fire, though). I wrote a statement and that was pretty much it.

I'd speculate, that I will call 911 first, then re-point my dashcam towards the action... and then I'll go with the flow, I guess. I will more likely remain in the car and observe, given those will be the operator's instructions anyway. I've seen too many times a "hero" accused of assault by a "victim". I've been accused of assault by the victim 4 out of 5 times we had to settle domestic dispute. I'm sure everyone in the uniform knows exactly how it happens.
    Je suis déplorable

(Bucks County)

Tough call

IF- I got involved and the assaulter approached, I'm assessing disparity of force issues. Is the guy dropping in on me like he's going all MMA and shit?

If he's attacking, he's getting shot instantly.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Chester County)

This is a tough call. Assuming I was alone, I would want to call 911 first to ensure the police were rolling to the scene. After-all they are the ones that will bring the situation to a proper close.

Would I sit there on the phone and watch someone continue to get beaten? My gut tells me no. I understand that the 911 operator would probably instruct me to not get involved, but I can't see myself watching a man beat a woman in any way.

I can also say with some certainty that I would not draw my gun out of the gate. I'd probably try drawing the aggressors attention and letting him know that the police are on their way.

There are many variables here such as what is the aggressor turns on me? My gut tells me to do what I feel is right out of the gate. If someone is getting beat/assaulted my first reaction would be to stop the assault ASAP.

(Delaware County)

Honestly, I don't even see any reason for discussion here aside from, "he did the right thing."

Obviously Mr. Man is willing to use violence to solve his problems, so if he turns on someone who is pointing a gun at him, the potential limit for his aggression is sky-high.

The police showed up, took control of the situation with what appears to be a reasonable amount of force, and the CCW holder did exactly the right thing when they arrived and was cleared and released almost immediately.

This looks pretty textbook to me.
    Junior

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast